SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 V60cc.
I have had DWS and liked the traction but I would get flat spots from sitting a couple of days which I found annoying. I would like to hear from people that have used the Vredestein Quatrac and possibly the DWS 06.
I have separate wheels with Blizzaks for the dead of winter when I go to the mountains often but I need a good all season for the fall and spring storms that we get here in Colorado.
Thanks in advance for you comments.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd be interested in this, also. I do know that the Vredesteins have the 3PMSF rating, so it would technically meet requirements for snow tires in the mountains and, I would assume, be far better than the stock contis on my V60 in the midwest snow (although falling short of your blizzaks). Reviews do indicate that the Vredesteins have a bit more road noise than average, though.

Would love to hear some real-world reviews, also.

I hadn't really considered the Conti DWS06. How are they in snow, otherwise? Flat spots after sitting for a couple of days would be a non-starter for me. I travel frequently for work, so my car can sit for days at a time, although she's been using it more and more over her minivan lately. :p

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I get flat spots on virtually every tire I use, but my car sits on an old (140 year old) uneven brick paver road every night. It takes about five miles or so every morning to get back to normal and for vibrations to stop.

I've gotten them on all-seasons, on summers, on winters... It never fails.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would really appreciate hearing from someone who has had or has the Vredestein Quatrac.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I would really appreciate hearing from someone who has had or has the Vredestein Quatrac.
If you live in Colorado and have separate wheels with dedicated snow tires, why are you interested in a tire that is meant for people who aren't going to put dedicated snow tires on their car because they live somewhere that only gets a little bit of snow every winter? The Quatracs are true 4-season tires. If you have winter tires, you should be shopping for a 3 season (spring/summer/fall) tire.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
And they are all compromised- had two sets of the Continentals on my previous V70R, which were not good in snow (when new), wore unevenly and got noisier as they wore down (the tread ‘feathered’.

My ‘16 V60RD came with A/S Pirellis (P7s) that had similar issues, so I got a set of Michelin Xi3s for the second winter, which have been great for 3 winters so far, and replaced the Pirellis this past spring with Michelin A/S 3+, which are also a great, three-season sport tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Because in Colorado we can get 2"-6" of snow in October or May and then it will be 55* in two days. I don't put on my snows until end of December when I start going to the mountains for snow shoeing and skiing.

·
Registered
12,711 Posts
I am also interested in the Quartrac. My experience with the DWS was very similar to KCCM above.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I run snows (Blizzaks) on wheels for the winter and like zn14 I run all-seasons for spring/fall for the same reasons. I put on P Zeros in spring "18; they're quiet on the highway and feel all-around solid to me.

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
Wrg4

·
Registered
101 Posts
I installed Vredesteins last December, put about 15K miles since then. So far so good, awesome in snow/sleet (for all-season tire), pretty quite, pretty comfortable. They are not very sporty, so if you take corners aggressively you may feel slight "step" or "wobble" - not sure how to describe. Don't feel as planted as, for instance, pireli cinturatos on my other car. At 15k they are showing little wear, so should probably last about 30-35K miles. All in all very happy with the tire.

·
Registered
101 Posts
do you like the Vredestein more than the Pirelli Cintuatos?
Both are pretty good tires, can't go wrong with either. IMHO, Vredesteins are a tiny bit better in slush/snow, and Cinturatos feel just a little more planted during aggressive cornering. It's a matter of personal preference really.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just saw that Vredestein has released the Quatrac Pro which, according to Tire Rack, is far superior to the Quatrac 5. No snow/ice tests yet - they state it will be coming this winter - but looks like a very promising upgrade over the Quatrac 5. And while many folks complain about the noise of the Quatrac 5, the Pros are supposed to be really quiet.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=244

The ride was nearly as well controlled as the Bridgestone, but where that tire felt taut and sporty, the Quatrac Pro was slightly softer and gentler, further removing road imperfections from the driver's awareness. Over the smooth sections of our route, the only audible noise came from the engine and the wind, and the Quatrac Pro merely created a slight hum on the worst patches of road. Steering feel was just as precise and direct as the Bridgestone, though it was more fluid and smoother, with slightly less effort required, but it was equally satisfying.

The Vredestein Quatrac Pro is an all-around impressive tire. The ride and noise comfort are some of the best we have tested, along with light handling that is ideal for a Grand Touring All-Season tire's mission. Combine the excellent on-road performance with wet traction that is significantly superior to its competitors and competent dry track capability, and the result is a winner. Take into consideration that the Quatrac Pro has light snow traction sufficient to earn the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol, as well, and you have a recipe for a paradigm shift in the category.
I'll definitely be looking at these when I need new tires, probably in a year or so, although they would have to be in 245/40R-18 instead of the stock 235/40R-18.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Just saw that Vredestein has released the Quatrac Pro which, according to Tire Rack, is far superior to the Quatrac 5. No snow/ice tests yet - they state it will be coming this winter - but looks like a very promising upgrade over the Quatrac 5. And while many folks complain about the noise of the Quatrac 5, the Pros are supposed to be really quiet.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=244

I'll definitely be looking at these when I need new tires, probably in a year or so, although they would have to be in 245/40R-18 instead of the stock 235/40R-18.
Looks like, as of right now, the Vredestein Pro doesn't come in 235/45/17, which is the stock size for my 2015.5 V60 with 17" Sadia wheels. It does come in 245/45/17 and 225/50/17. Is anyone running either of those size tires on any Volvo 17" x 8" wheels that are meant for 235/45/17? If so, how does your car drive compared to the stock tire size?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Based on available tire sizes and difference in diameter, it looks like 225/45-17 (25.0") and 245/45-17 (25.7") are closest to the stock 235/45-17 (25.3"). 225/50-17 is even bigger at 25.9".

I think the best alternatives to the stock 235/40-18 (25.4") would be 245/40-18 (25.7") and 225/40-18 (25.1"). Curious to know if anyone is running these sizes on 18's.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Based on available tire sizes and difference in diameter, it looks like 225/45-17 (25.0") and 245/45-17 (25.7") are closest to the stock 235/45-17 (25.3"). 225/50-17 is even bigger at 25.9".

I think the best alternatives to the stock 235/40-18 (25.4") would be 245/40-18 (25.7") and 225/40-18 (25.1"). Curious to know if anyone is running these sizes on 18's.
While I agree that 225/45/17 would be closest to stock, since this is a touring all-season tire, personally I would be more interested in maximizing comfort. I would think that decreasing the sidewall would not help with that, so I would lean toward fitting the 225/50/17. Even though the speedometer would be off by a bit more than with the smaller sidewall size tire, it would be off by less than 2 mph at 70 mph.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Loved the DWS 06s when they were new. Now at about 10k miles in they’re starting to get noisy. I’ve read similar experiences from other (non Volvo) forums. It’s a major bummer.

I ran Nokians (WR) on my Saab years ago. I may go back to them when the noise from these DSW 06s becomes unbearable.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all for your opinions....I am leaning towards getting the Vredestein Quatrac.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE..... I ended up getting the Vredestien quatrac 5 tires. Driving on dry pavement has been good with very little noise. Today it is 15* out with 4 inches of snow and still snowing. In the neighborhoods the roads are snow packed with slick underneath. I just went for a drive and was very impressed how well these tires did, I finally got them to break traction but had to work at it. Today’s weather is the exact reason why I bought these tires. It is too early to put on the Blizzaks because we will be back in the 50s to 60s in the coming weeks and if we drive to Phoenix this winter I won’t be doing it with Blizzaks on. Only thing left to see is how many miles I get out of them. Great tire.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts