SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am from Singapore and new to this forum. In Singapore we have polestar, rica and mte available to tune the s60 t6. Can anyone share your experience with the 3 brands? Thanks

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Polestar doesn't Void your warranty and it definitely wakes up the T6.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But for the t6, polestar only increase about 25 horse which seems marginal and they cost more as well compare to other brands, i would have go for it without much thought if the power gain is more because of warranty concern

·
Registered
780 Posts
I think the limiting factor is "keeping the warranty". If they would push it more, most probably they'd have issues with the tranny (which if I recall correctly is rated for 440Nm - polestar already developing 480Nm).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agreed and thats the safe way to go, but was wondering if there are any reviews on the other tunes? Is the extra power from other brands bad for the engine and gearbox?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I suspect the other tunes are going to have problems up against a dealer sold
tune (in terms of sales). The warranty is probably the most important thing
to most owners (but not all) and I suspect Polestar has grabbed most of the market.
Also, knowing the next dealer service software update won't overwrite the tune is
important to me, too.

One nice thing is you can test drive the polestar in the form of an R-Design
(at least in North America) and see if it is worth it. I would recommend that before
purchase regardless of reviews or owner opinions.

I received 10% off from my dealer for my PoleStar tune and many will do that if are
a member of VCONA (Volvo Club North America) on all parts. Then I also contacted Volvo
support and asked if there was any sort of discount/promo they could offer me (their very good
Volvo customer) and they responded with a coupon for another $100 off. Others
have reported a similar experience.

I have seen some reviews of the tunes on the T6 in 2010 (285 lb/ft as I recall) and earlier
(s80) where the tune gets it to the level of the T6 2011+ version (300 hp, 325 lb/ft). But
again, Volvo bumping the base power up to where the tuners were going in 2011 probably pulled
the rug out from under those sales, too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Numbers can be deceiving and some people are only concerned with numbers. For me it's more driveability, and how and when the power is being delivered. I know some tuners who brag about a great increase in power, but they don't tell you the huge increase is at the top end. Which is great for the highway, but poor for the street. Yes, Polestar may only bump 25hp, but they re-mapped it so there is a huge surge in the mid-range. This is fantastic for street driving as it delivers power where you need it most. Never fails to bring a smile to my face ever since I got the Polestar upgrade.

And as the others have mentioned, you're still covered under the factory warranty. With any other tune, if anything goes wrong, dealers will try to wash their hands of you. On top of which, Polestar have invested the R&D into what limits can be reached without putting anything at risk. Some tuners will do their best, but if they tune the car incorrectly, it can cause detonation. I've heard too many stories of people who had their cars tuned a bit too extreme and it destroyed their engine.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I see Heico's web page is clarifying the warranty issue a bit with their products indicating
warranty coverage when installed by dealer network. The number of markets is listed
(does not mention North America). But, in fairness, though it worth noting:

HEICO SPORTIV is an official partner of Volvo Car Germany, Volvo Automobile (Schweiz) AG and Volvo Cars Overseas Corporation for series-produced car individualization. Consequently, in the unlikely event of damage, e.motion® will be treated as an original part, with quick claim settlement guaranteed analogously to the full Volvo Manufacturer Guarantee*. Claims are settled via your authorized Volvo dealership.
* country specific

http://www.heicosportiv.de/mainframe.asp?lang=en&e1=161

Heico is very well regarded and I say good for them for providing coverage. So that is an
option for some markets.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
But for the t6, polestar only increase about 25 horse which seems marginal and they cost more as well compare to other brands, i would have go for it without much thought if the power gain is more because of warranty concern

It is not just the HP but the torque which is what helps you accelerate. Most people get hung up in HP matters but what really matters, for the way most people drive, is TORQUE.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess most of the owners here are getting their car tuned by polestar? I was hoping to hear from guys who have their car tuned by other brands or have known of people getting tuned by other brands to share their experiences. Have anyone know real life cases of damages made to their cars by other tuning brands?

·
Registered
169 Posts
sniperboxer said:
I guess most of the owners here are getting their car tuned by polestar? I was hoping to hear from guys who have their car tuned by other brands or have known of people getting tuned by other brands to share their experiences. Have anyone know real life cases of damages made to their cars by other tuning brands?
Well have you yourself heard of anyone getting a non-Polestar tune for their new generation S60? As far as I know, there are multiple choices available for the previous generation, but for this new generation, I've only seen Polestar and Heico come out with something. Every tuner that I've contacted wouldn't touch the new S60 because Volvo has the ECU locked down (granted Heico is a piggyback). In saying that, have you looked into something like the Haltech Interceptor? It's a universal piggyback unit which any tuner should be able to hook up to your car. What's good is that when you sell the car, you can uninstall it and sell it separately to recoup some money.

krn said:
I see Heico's web page is clarifying the warranty issue a bit with their products indicating warranty coverage when installed by dealer network.
I did look at Heico as an alternative to Polestar, but I got the impression that was mainly for European based customers. Sure, it's plug and play and anyone should be able to install it. However I was concerned about the warranty not being maintained unless it's installed through their dealer network in Germany/Europe. However as Dreamsmaker pointed out, it's pretty much similar numbers to Polestar which should be a relatively save and conservative tune.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Arith,
I dont personally know anyone on other tunes then polestar, in Singapore there are rica and mte available other then polestar and heico, and they are a lot cheaper which is why i cant decide to go the safe way with polestar or take the less secure option. Is rica and mte available over your side?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sorry, I've never heard or seen them here in Australia. Then again, I'm new to the European tuning/modification scene coming from 8 years of Subaru. But if they are available to you, especially at a lower cost, just do some local research and get some feedback from those who have already used them. Just gotta make sure they aren't experimenting on your car and they properly test it thoroughly on the dyno. Just keep in mind the extra cost for Polestar or Heico, who are tested and proven, pays for the peace of mind (and warranty).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts