SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to do 2 clutches soon and I am looking for your opinions on what to replace it with.

I will be doing a clutch on my dads 02 C70 coupe HPT manual. I am planning to put a K24 on the car with the rest of the mods to pretty much max out the k24/engine.
Also my friend has an 01 s60 T5M which he will just be maxing out the 16T on.

I have done some research and Im just wondering what would be the best from people actually running these clutches. Both of these cars have the worst feeling stock clutches I have ever driven. There is no feel at all and are absurdly soft so I am looking to change that as well as having a clutch to take the power but also be daily driveable (no puck clutches). Really looking to get rid of the dual mass flywheel.

Options:
-DM flywheel, S60R clutch w resplined disk

-SM flywheel, 850R 272218 clutch kit

-SM flywheel repined, 707 pressure plate and 850R disk

-SM flywheel, used 850 T5 clutch kit rebuilt/upgraded

-Anything im missing?

I am also up in Canada so things are more expensive and harder to get. I just got a clutch rebuilt/upgraded from a stock one for my turbo track car ( Miata) and the strongest factory clutch went from being rated low 200s to 450tq. It was a Kevlar re-plated disk with stronger springs. and the pressure plate was rebuilt with stronger fingers and that's all I know of. A proper shop rebuilt it and the last option would be similar to that

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
The 850R clutch can handle the power if you drive normally and just want to floor it around town. If you're taking it to the track regularly you probably want the 707. I'm running the 850R clutch in my C70 and I've overheated and slipped it once at the drag strip but 3 years and 20k miles later it continues to lock up fine, even back at the strip with less aggressive launches.

I like it way better than the dual mass in my 01 V70 and will be converting that clutch to the same kit when the current clutch dies.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm running the 850R clutch in my C70 QUOTE]

How much power? which turbo and mods?

just trying to gauge it. I have a feeling the SM + 850R clutch will be fine for the S60 maxing out the 16T. But Ive heard hit and miss about the power when maxing out the K24/2.3T engine.

Its something I want to do once and not have to worry about it.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
It's all in my signature, can you see it? "OBX downpipe, Snabb intake & RIP kit, AL Intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, JZW tune pushing 20 psi."

Earlier this year I dyno'd about 5hp higher than two tuned Rs (probably due to AWD vs FWD, we were all tuned by the same tuner). I'm pushing over 300 ft-lb at the wheels if a dynojet is to be believed. 274 ft-lb on a mustang dyno. It pulls pretty hard. Unfortunately it's also really heavy so it's still pretty slow from a standstill.

But again, it's really all in how you drive it. I rev it up to 2500 and slip it when I want to launch quickly from stop lights but I never really thrash on it. In normal driving I try to slip it as little as possible.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was on my phone so I couldn't then. I can now.

That is really good to know. the K24 is apparently maxes roughly at 370hp(crank) and the 16T at 300hp.

the 850R should be more than enough for the 16T.

I do have a track car to beat on otherwise. Im thinking the 850R but have the pressure plate upgraded a little bit should be similar to the 707 PP. As long as its not stupid stiff that others can still drive it as needed. Thanks!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also did the clutch feel(pedal feel) change going from a stock T5 and DM to 850R and SM?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
The feel is definitely different, and I like it a lot better on the single mass. It's tighter and more direct.

Note that you will get some transmission rattling because of the single mass, just when the car is sitting still. It doesn't bother me, I think of it as a typical side effect of a performance upgrade, but it bothers a lot of people. The dual mass de-couples the engine vibrations that cause it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The noise im not too concerned about considering these engines/transmissions had a single mass with the 850 anyways. Plus with stiffer suspension/poly mounts and an exhaust it wont be existant at all.

So the pedal did get a little stiffer then? that's good. Ill probably upgrade the fingers on the Pressure plate as well to hold the power and that will make it a little stiffer even still. thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts