SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After last week's coolant issues I have understandably been keeping a very close eye on the coolant temps in the VR.
All seems to be going well but have noticed one thing. Before the issue, I would see the coolant needle pegged in the middle within the first 5-7 minutes on a cold start. Not so anymore. 12 mile freeway drive and the needle was 1 notch from noon. Odd.

Hooked up the scanner and did a 15 mile freeway drive. Cruised. No trips into boost.
81* outside temp
75-80mph steady.
178* coolant temp when I arrived. Needle under the noon mark.

45 minutes on location.

Return trip - 15 miles
90* outside temp
75-80mph steady
198* coolant temp. Needle at noon. Got into boost for a short time on an uphill merge ( same one that bit me last week ).
210* temp after that run.
200*-205* on city streets until I got home.

From what I've read, the return trip numbers are good. My concern is the cold start/warm up temps. Do those seem low/slow?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Return trip is more normal for the R, but the first would be possible on a light drive on a cool day.
Interesting bit is the outside temps are normally in the high 60s low 70 when I leave for work this time of year. Traffic is light on my drive too. Something to keep an eye on when the temps start dropping.

Thanks again Stealthy.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
AC on or off?

AC on will keep coolant temp real steady at around 190F

With the AC off the coolant will fluctuate between 190F & 225F. This is because the rad. fan runs constantly when AC is on

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
From what I've found (and having experienced thermostat failures on other cars) if the needle never gets to where it should be normally (which is right in the middle) you've likely got a thermostat that is stuck open. The thermostat shouldn't open at all until 188-190F. 12 miles on the highway should be plenty to get it up there, unless it is subzero temperatures.

A good way to test it is to put your hand on the radiator hose after a cold start and see if the pipe is warming up gradually before it reaches 1/2 on the temp gauge. If it does, you've got coolant flowing past the thermostat. It should stay mostly cool until the thermostat opens up.

I monitor my coolant temps every drive through the canbus extender and the ranges stated by jstro are pretty accurate (the fan on mine kicks on at 220F).

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
d.

Hooked up the scanner and did a 15 mile freeway drive. Cruised. No trips into boost.
81* outside temp
75-80mph steady.
178* coolant temp when I arrived. Needle under the noon mark.
15 miles isnt a long enough drive at highway speed to get to full operating temperature. with the A/C on the rad. fan is pulling cool air in, while the speed you are traveling is also cooling the air down abit. As what djkronik said, with my CFE, i see between 186 (coolest) and 226 (hottest) coolant temps.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
15 miles isnt a long enough drive at highway speed to get to full operating temperature. with the A/C on the rad. fan is pulling cool air in, while the speed you are traveling is also cooling the air down abit. As what djkronik said, with my CFE, i see between 186 (coolest) and 226 (hottest) coolant temps.

A/C wasn't operating on the first leg of the trip. Had the heater going full blast at about the 5 mile mark to see if I could turn the inside of the car into a sauna. A/C WAS on during the trip home.

I will take a longer drive tomorrow without either unit on to see how it responds.

Thanks everyone for helping the noob out.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tooled around town this afternoon. Both drives, no A/C. First trip ended at 180*, needle under the halfway mark. Must be all of the downhill, flat land driving.
Second trip, flat-land and hill climb out of the valley saw the temp hit 225*. One brief trip into boost ( 15psi ) on the same connector.

One thing I really do like about the R is the ease it reaches normal highway cruising speeds in my area. 80mph comes up so fast and smooth without getting into the turbo. I have to keep a constant eye on the speedo.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
A/C wasn't operating on the first leg of the trip. Had the heater going full blast at about the 5 mile mark to see if I could turn the inside of the car into a sauna.
Bingo. That'll keep your coolant temps low. Just like sending coolant through the radiator, sending it through the heater core will drop the temp and could delay reaching normal operating temperature.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Tooled around town this afternoon. Both drives, no A/C. First trip ended at 180*, needle under the halfway mark. Must be all of the downhill, flat land driving.
Second trip, flat-land and hill climb out of the valley saw the temp hit 225*. One brief trip into boost ( 15psi ) on the same connector.

One thing I really do like about the R is the ease it reaches normal highway cruising speeds in my area. 80mph comes up so fast and smooth without getting into the turbo. I have to keep a constant eye on the speedo.
My easy way of tracking highway speed is that when I hear the turbo start to growl in 6th gear, I know I'm getting near 95-100 mph.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts