SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My passenger side hood hinge broke a rivet on me this morning. I removed the hinge from the hood and placed a bolt in the location of the rivet for a temporary solution. I must have reinstalled the hood further forward on the hinge, although I thought I had it right. Now the pull cable will not release the hood, I'm guessing because the hood is too far forward. I pulled the grille, but it looks like I can't access any of the fasteners from underneath.

Any ideas on how to open my hood?

·
Registered
550 Posts
You should be able to see the part that sticks through the lock and pry it to center to get it out.
Worst case it might unscrew but there is a jam nut and if it's like mine it's rusted in place.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to get a tiny socket wrench on the nuts holding the latch plate in place. Thankfully it is open now. Now I just have to figure out how to get it back where it is all aligned.

·
Registered
550 Posts
When I reinstalled my hood it was a royal pain to get lined up. Did the mark thing on the hinges just like I've done countless time on other vehicles but this darn thing didn't want to work !
Turned out the lock part wasn't OEM and had washers as spacers I failed to notice when I took it apart.

Just the typical 15 minute job that turns into an hour of sledgehammering and cussing. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No kidding. As I was removing the four bolts that hold the latch plate I figured out that three of them required a 7/16" wrench and one required a 10mm wrench. I love figuring stuff like that out blind. I guess I'll be at the hardware store this weekend to buy another bolt.

Of course, now I have the hood open and I can't get the car to start. Sounds like a dead battery, but I charged it and is is showing 11.5 volts on my voltage tester. All I get is the dreaded click, nothing turns over. Looks like I'll be investigating my starter.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Since you have the grilles out, the key to aligning the latch plate is to use some wire or a zip tie to hold the latching part open while you locate the plate. With the bolts finger tight so you can just barely slide the plate around, gently lower the hood and see if it hits the plate. When you can close the hood with the pin dropping right through the center, that's where you want to lock it down.

I think 11.5V fully charged is a bad battery. Watch the voltage while you try to crank it. If it drops really low then that's probably it. Also of course double check the ground connections, I like to add one direct from the battery to the block like on modern cars. Those braided ground straps love to get frayed and weak over the years.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put the battery on a charger to see if I just pulled it off early last time. Sure enough it charged to 12.6 volts. I still only hear the starter click when I try to start the car. I tried to jump the car with my wife's car, and no dice there either. I figured the battery was bad until I couldn't jump it. I'll see if I can get it load tested at the local parts shop.

If that isn't it, I guess I'll pull the starter and see if I can test that off the car.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
An unloaded battery should read a full 1 volt higher than that, about 13.6V. You pretty much already load-tested it when you say the starter clicks but then nothing else happens. But it could conceivably be a shorted starter or bad cable/corroded connection.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I had the battery tested and it was indeed bad. Unfortunately after installing a new battery there's no change in my symptoms. So it looks like it is either the starter or a wiring issue. I'll have to dig into it more tomorrow. I hate things that go bad suddenly, they are annoying to track down.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Don't forget to check the ground strap at the passenger side rear of the engine, in addition to the other connections and components.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Could be the switch as well not sending voltage to the selinoid.
Figure out which of the two little connections on the starter is the one that activates it and apply 12 volts there.
MAKE DAMMED SURE IT'S OUT OF GEAR ! !
Very important that's how farmers die ! They like to "jump" the starter with a screwdriver while spraying starting fluid in the air cleaner. I knew one lady that died that way and the tractor ran amuck for some time after.

Anyways you can just use a screwdriver and go from the battery connection to the start one. Touching them both to find the right one.
There will be a few sparks and again make sure it's out of gear!

Unlike a tractor you won't be leaning on a large tire while you're doing it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like I had some bad connections at the starter. I disconnected it, sanded the rust off the connectors and reinstalled. She starts like a dream now.

Thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts