SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just 2 weeks after picking up our new XC60 in Gothenburg my wife an I went ahead car shopping for a second car. We were going to buy a friend's used 325i but decided to have a quick look at Volvos again as we wanted good mileage and diesels were appealing.

We found one! :D

2008 C30 2.0 D

That is going to be our first diesel but it feels great! I couldn't believe how peppy it was compared to our 3.2 XC60. It should also get 42-45mpg which will average out the ugly 21mpg I have been getting on the XC60.

The car seems well equipped, has the RTI (painful after having been with sensus), 55k miles and came at $11k.

So we went for no Volvo ever before to 2 in 3 weeks. Not bad ;)

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the Volvo family! I love the engine choice in the C30! A lot of engine for that car!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
'Tis okay but requires regular service and these cost! As German C30 diesels only had a DPF, that will cost. Is the 2.0d a manual or Powershift dual clutch box?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
'Tis okay but requires regular service and these cost! As German C30 diesels only had a DPF, that will cost. Is the 2.0d a manual or Powershift dual clutch box?
It is with the manual.
We should not have to do any maintenance for the next 12 months but the next service si the 120000km service that requires a DPF change. Apparently that's a $1500 if I go this route.

So far we are loving it. I have to fight off my wife for it even though we have a brand new XC60 costing 3 or 4 times as much sitting next to it. Funny. The car is just so much fun to drive. I cannot imagine this car with the D5 in it. It must be mind-blowing. I am wondering if it got chipped/reprogrammed (I heard the 2.0D is a very good candidate for this) it's just so fast compared to the XC60.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, this first diesel experience is going great so far.
I even drove it above 220km/h (>135mph) easily yesterday to my surprise.
The motor is noisy at low speed but once on the freeway it's not an issue.
No nasty smells or black smoke either (thanks to the DPF?).
Gas mileage has been great (above 40mpg .. not when doing 200+ though ;) )
The C30 is rough on the back though. I feel like getting in a sofa whenever I get back on the XC60. I feel like on rails on it though. I love how the 2 characters are so different!
So why don't we have these engines in the US again?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Because Ford won't export diesels to the states, as the 2.0d (a PSA engine) can't manage any US emission laws. Volvo dropped it 2010 as the D3/D4 was developed. That COULD find its way over... But I highly doubt it.

Oh, and yeah, it won't chuck out all the smoke, because of the DPF. Though the DPF is a crap thing on that engine!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Because Ford won't export diesels to the states, as the 2.0d (a PSA engine) can't manage any US emission laws. Volvo dropped it 2010 as the D3/D4 was developed. That COULD find its way over... But I highly doubt it.

Oh, and yeah, it won't chuck out all the smoke, because of the DPF. Though the DPF is a crap thing on that engine!
Ha. It was more of a rhetorical question. ;) (When the most sold car in the US is the F150 you can only laugh at how biased the emission system is set-up).
What about the DPF on this engine though? As you said it's the standard PSA engine that's on a gazillion cars. I have heard of clogging when doing a lot of city driving but since I do 95%+ freeway I am not too worried. It there something else I should know about these?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts