SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
It's just a difference in the metal flake. I think Onyx has more purples vs the browns in the Sapphire in the flake if I remember correctly. Pics need to be in direct sunlight to see the difference.

That Orange car was the first wrapped car I saw last year on FB. A bit too much for my taste.

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
It's just a difference in the metal flake. I think Onyx has more purples vs the browns in the Sapphire in the flake if I remember correctly. Pics need to be in direct sunlight to see the difference.

That Orange car was the first wrapped car I saw last year on FB. A bit too much for my taste.
That's correct. Our onyx has a bunch of purple flake, looks great in the light.

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,802 Posts
Can someone explain to me the difference between sapphire vblack and onyx black?
Actually, Sapphire has the purple flake. Onyx has a combination of purple and black flakes in it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just posted a picture in the Polestar Sightings thread of an Onyx Black V60P with my BSM V60P. You can see the BSM has a bluish/purplush hint to it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the one in the back is sapphire and the one in the front is onyx? Honestly dont see any difference.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Our BSM actually has more Reds and Browns in it then Blues/Purples. We had to do color matching when I got my front splitter repainted. There are actually a few variations of BSM.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I'm definitely not saying their aren't Blues in BSM. What I am saying is that there are 3 or 4 variations of BSM. The BSM that is on the P*'s is the one that has the most Reds/Browns in it. It's a beautiful color in direct sunlight but it was too prone to damage with our group drives, so I had to cover it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Having had two sapphires and now an onyx, the sapphire actually has a mica flake which is iridescent (purplish) in bright light. I believe onyx is a standard meta flake which simply provides a deep shine in bright light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
That's correct. Our onyx has a bunch of purple flake, looks great in the light.
Just took a close look at our Onyx. Purple blue and green flake in approximately equal proportion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts