SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Ongoing Cranking Issue (05 XC70 162k)

1K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Antherzoll 
#1 · (Edited)
Ever since November 2018 I have been dealing with an intermittent cranking issue. The car fires right up for the first time everyday but every startup after that for the rest of the day can be hit or miss no matter the temperature outside. When I turn the key over it will hesitate/stutter for a few seconds at most until it starts and runs flawlessly. The times that it hesitates I can hear a squeal coming from a belt but once it starts there is no squeal. I have replaced spark plugs, fuel filter, and battery since they were all overdue anyways but it's still happening. Could it be the fuel pressure sensor? crankshaft sensor? starter?

Since I can hear a belt squeal during the hesitation on cranking I checked the accessory belt with the car running and it is completely silent but the belt tensioner has a wobble to it. I doubt a bad belt tensioner is causing my symptoms??

Here's a video of the hesitation/stutter/squeal during crank. [video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PsF37lshMi0hkEkGO97k_ghYE6S4SyiY/view?usp=sharing[/video] and here's a video of what it sounds like when it fires right up with no hesitation/stutter/squeal. [video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qewBp3-HOkR7vh_E1T2V4sFHFovoLJRA/view?usp=sharing[/video]

Looking for some insight before I start throwing parts at it.

Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
Check the Spade connector on the starter solenoid. You might have to take the radiator fan out to reach it. On my SR it was loose, basically almost fallen off and it would be hit or miss starting it. If it's loose take it off, squeeze it a bit with some pliers and stick it back on so it stays tight.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Check the Spade connector on the starter solenoid. You might have to take the radiator fan out to reach it
Okay. I'll see if I can reach a hand in there and feel for a loose connection first. When you had that issue did the car ever not start for you at all? My car starts fine just hesitates a little when cranking sometimes. Has never not started. The weird part is how it fires up instantly first thing in the morning. Makes me wonder if it could be a bad battery cable too.

#6 ·
When I had problems with the spade connector on my 02, I would get in the car, turn the key, and absolutely nothing happened...no sound, nothing turning over, complete silence. I would pop the hood, wiggle the connector on the starter motor, and she'd crank over and fire right up. I finally did what jrach suggested (removed the fan for better access) and no more issues.

Just emphasizing that with my poor spade connection, I would get zero crank, nada. Sounds like you're getting crank but sometimes it doesn't fire up? Is the crank weak when you're having problems starting? My loose spade connection resulted in no crank but maybe a poor connection could also give you weak crank?

#8 ·
Read the codes, MAF and fuel rail pressure (all in VIDA, generic OBD scanners are half blind and deaf compared to DiCE/VIDA), check compression, get a new coil pack and swap every coil pack on engine with that new one.

#13 ·
Take the spade connector off, clean corrosion out of inside of spade connector with a sharp tool, close it slightly with some pliers and maybe some dielectric grease then reinstall. There's a video on YouTube of some dorky guy doing it. Corrosion may be your issue despite it being tight.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#15 ·
In the first video, you don't let the key sit in its second position before cranking the engine - hesitation. In the second video, you do let it sit in that position - no hesitation. Suggests that your issue may be lack of fuel pressure due to the common failing one-way valve on the fuel pump, because the pump primes when in that second position.

#17 ·
Shot in the dark here, but have you checked the MAF sensor? my 2003 2.4t had terrible starting and idling issues until I replaced that thing. Oiled air filters do not combine well with it. Sounds quite a bit different from my problems but couldn't hurt!

Also get a VIDA/DICE or VOL-VO OBDII unit onto it (they are like 80 dollars on amazon), and shoot the codes at this thread, you'll most certainly get a bit more help based on those.

#18 ·
MAybe a bad upstream o2 sensor? Car would be fine starting when cold when sensor is not up to temp but might cause trouble on subsequent startups when it’s already at temp and providing feedback to ECU.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.