SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, thanks for this forum.
I just acquired a 1968 1800s in need of a full restore. Extensive rust but runs so sweet I hesitate to just pass it on as a bodyman's special. I'm wondering if I sink a lot of money in this thing if it's worth it or not. It's all original interior wise but has some previous Bondo filler & new red Imron paint about 20 years ago. The mechanicals I've tweeked to get it going but for the parking brake. I've freed up the cables but the shaft that runs from the handle linkage over to the cable take-up is froze. To make matters worse, where it anchors to a cross floor brace on the left, it's dangling from the linkage because the rear floor brace is rusted away. I've replaced the funky ignition switch since the key was broken off & that's a whole other story (what a b___h!).
Has anyone else resolved the parking brake shaft issue?
And how do I post pictures.

Thanks, Steve

ps I had first placed this in the wrong forum. Hope this gets some replies now.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Welcome to the forum Steve.

To answer your one question, restoring a car is always a money losing proposition and the P1800 is no exception. If the car is in good enough condition to drive and not require cosmetic or structural work to keep it on the road, then leave it as is and enjoy. In the world of classics, good drivers will usually recoup the purchase cost if maintained. That means free motoring!

I am going to guess that a very nice P1800 driver that was restored 5 years ago goes for 15 to 20k. A full nut and bolt restoration is going to run you at least 30k if you do all the work yourself. If the project itself is what you are after, that is money well spent. I you just want to motor about in a P1800 then it is not the way to go.

Pete

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Nohome's observations on the purpose of the 'project' and the costs associated with restoration are spot on. You will not recover your costs on a nut & bolt restoration where you essentially end up with a brand new old car (or restomod if that is what you would like). You might recover your costs or make money if you put some dollars and sweat equity into turning it from a non runner into a safely driveable vehicle. Cars that can move and stop under their own power and that do not drop parts off during the test drive generally bring more money than the 'ran when parked 10 years ago' variety.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts