SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok hello,

I'm looking at a 2006 2.4i with the 6 CD changer premium sound, center speaker. The radio only gets one FM station.

What I'm trying to figure out is if later model stereo components can be used to replace the 2006 factory stereo. And where to get said parts.

In fact I'd like to know where to get 2006 factory stereo parts. I've seen a bunch of stuff on ebay but I'm not sure exactly what I should be buying.

I realize that there's probably information on upgrading the stereo in the 700 post long auxiliary jack thread, however I don't have the ability to read through the whole thing without falling asleep, so if someone could give me a quick and dirty answer then I could go and negotiate the price down on the car that I really want to get, I would be very appreciative and post lots of pictures the replacement process.

At this time I really just want to know what it would take to get the radio working. I'll take care of figuring out if how to get my phone connected after that, however it does seem like a thing that you want to do both at the same time so if it's possible to put in a 2007 2008 head unit with an auxiliary jack that would be awesome.

So thanks for any response and I'll keep you updated on if I pick up the car or not

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
That's a new one! Really hard to say what is wrong, my hunch is that it's not the head unit but another module called the AFM. In the S40 I think it's up under the trunk shelf, and it houses the tuner. From there a fiber optic streams a digital audio signal to the head unit, which simply plays it. If the head unit is at fault, it would be a control thing, which could conceivably be software. Have you checked that the knob is functioning?

If the radio is important to you, and you don't want to have to depend on a dealer, you might consider passing on the car. It will probably require more than a simple component swap. But it may or may not be an expensive issue. Debug it before deciding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's similar to others issues with no radio reception, and they had to replace the head unit (?). So what I'm wondering, has anyone been successful in using '08 and on parts (with aux plug / bluetooth) to replace '06 and earlier components?

All the controls work for that one station and the radio in general, I was able to turn on the surround sound and scroll through all the menus, and it sounded great.

Where could I find an AFM and how much should I plan on spending?

Oh, and where under the trunk shelf? Is there a schematic somewhere on the forum?

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts