SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from a family vacation and I need to vent. We took wife's XC90 and I was driving 100% of the time. I think total mileage was about 1200 miles - first round trip Boston to Montreal, then Cape Cod. Man, I could not find a comfortable position in that car. I tried everything. I had no passenger behind me so I could play with seat position all day long and I still not found anything remotely comfortable as R seats. And I'm not that tall or "wide" guy...
My wife wants to get something else, and while Iw as thinking to keep XC for myself as DD, no way I could do that. I think part of the problem is that XC seat (or most of SUV) is higher from the floor and with combination with floor mounted accelerator pedal it creates some very uncomfortable angles in knee and ankle bends. Luckily with kids and dogs, we had to do many frequent stops lol so I could stretch and not look like I'm falling apart...

Back to work today and happy to be back into my Nordcap heaven. My only wish - they would be vented....

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
Yeah. Never had such a comfortable car. Zero back pain after driving. I've had lots of cars (not as many as skywolf or prolix) but there is nothing by comparison. Nothing, aside from figuring out how to get a high end Herman Miller chair into a car.

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
I drove my R around a bit this weekend. Absolute night and day going from the C30 to it. The clutch, the shifter, and the seats are all far superior in the R.

Seconding the ventilated seats, though. Not having them is making me miss my S80 now.

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,796 Posts
I got to drive an XC90 for a week a couple of years ago. I don't remember that the seats were uncomfortable; but, they weren't memorable either like the seats in the RRR.

For comparison, we have a 2014 XC60 R-Design, too. I find them as comfortable as the RRR seats and in some ways more comfortable. Even though it is a SUV with a higher seating position, the seat itself holds you nicely in place with the bolsters and is just plain comfortable. We have done a few 600+ mile days in it and had no complaints.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Hmmm it'd be interesting to see if you could put a set of R seats in the front of an xc90, probably wont match the rest of the interior though lol.

·
Registered
2004 S60R & 2006 XC90 2.5T Real Volvos have 5 cylinders!!
283 Posts
'04 R seats are superior...........

😁

·
Registered
2006 V70R M66, Titanium/Atacama
221 Posts
I've had numerous comments about how comfortable the R seats are when I've driven people around.

My in-laws had a new '05 S60R years back and still comment how comfortable they were.

Driving their caR is part of what got me into my V70R now.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yeah. Never had such a comfortable car. Zero back pain after driving. I've had lots of cars (not as many as skywolf or prolix) but there is nothing by comparison. Nothing, aside from figuring out how to get a high end Herman Miller chair into a car.
Can anyone recommend seats that rival the R in comfort? Surely some of the newer cars out there must have similarly comfortable seats.

A friend of mine that previously had a P2 V70 says he bought his 2014 Ford Fusion because the seats were similar to his Volvo. I remember them being decent.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I built my new office chair out of an 04 SR. The other seat is going to be my new gaming chair. The back seat is going to possibly be another gaming chair.

Not going to lie, the R seats are the best seats I've ever sat in.

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
I’ll agree with that. When looking for an R I drove a 29k mile 04 and those seats were awesome. Extra bolstering or something. The leather was softer too.
While ALL R seats are the best, the 04 seats are indeed the best year of the R seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
We took wife's XC90 and I was driving 100% of the time.
Weird. I feel like I'm sitting ON the R and not IN it like I did with my '97 M3, '14 MINI Clubman, '16 Focus ST, and now the '16 XC90. The seat is all the way down, and I'm still sitting too high up to be comfortable.

And with Adaptive Cruise, it's rare I even touch the gas pedal on a road trip. :) Gimme dat Pilot Assist! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I agree big time. When I drive MY10c70t5 and hop in the VR, immediately my body says “where have you been?”

Night and day. Man I love my VR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts