SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a brand new 2019 S90 (May update has NOT been applied yet as I took delivery on the car a week before the update came out and the dealership wouldn’t apply it for free so I am waiting) and I activated the AT&T sim as well as have a T-Mobile hotspot and my phone hotspot.

When using the onboard AT&T, 90% of the time the vehicle shows full signal but basic things like the Weather or Volvo ID apps say they has no internet access. If I enable the vehicle hotspot and connect my phone to it, theres no internet as stated.

When turning on the T-Mobile hotspot and attempting to have the vehicle use that WiFi, the hotspot DOES work as I have my BlackVue’s on it and my phone to test yet the S90 still won’t work. This is the same as when I enable the hotspot on my phone or even when I attempt to connect the car to the WiFi in the house while its parked (I have an access point in the garage so no concerns of signal issues).

I would say 90% of the time the vehicle has no internet. The only somewhat consistent way I can get it to work is to plug the T-Mobile hotspot USB into the USB port after the car has been turned on for a few minutes and pressing yes on the screen popup to use that as the internet source. However if I stop and shutoff the car (running into a store quickly) and come back, it won’t allow the USB connectivity to work consistently. Seems I have to let the car sit longer shutoff and reboot the hotspot for it to MAYBE work.

This is getting pretty frustrating to be honest. Has anyone run into anything similar to this or have any ideas? I didn’t see any potential fixes that could relate to this in the new update but still assume I want to get that done just in case anyway.

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
To help isolate the problem, when you use WiFi connection to your phone or hotspot, just double check the car Internet modem is not enabled.

On the other hand, put the AT&T SIM in your phone to check if Internet works.

If both tests shows the problem is on the car side, yeh, call dealer to make an appointment. They should try upgrade the software to the latest.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To help isolate the problem, when you use WiFi connection to your phone or hotspot, just double check the car Internet modem is not enabled.
Each time I enable WiFi it disables the onboard which I confirm as well manually.

On the other hand, put the AT&T SIM in your phone to check if Internet works.
I haven't tried that and can do. I've got an unlocked Pixel XL so that should work fine. I'll test that today.

If both tests shows the problem is on the car side, yeh, call dealer to make an appointment. They should try upgrade the software to the latest.
Yup thats the next steps but figured I would see if anyone else has seen similar issues before I take it in.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Try doing a factory reset through the settings menus. I was having similar problems and ended up having software updates done, etc. only to finally have the issue go away forever when I reset the entire Sensus system and started from scratch.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try doing a factory reset through the settings menus. I was having similar problems and ended up having software updates done, etc. only to finally have the issue go away forever when I reset the entire Sensus system and started from scratch.
Damn, what a pain. I'll add it to the list of stuff to try (begrudgingly lol).

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I’m having the same sort of connectivity challenges in my XC60. I already made an appointment next week to have it checked out as I’m also having an issue where the light sensor doesn’t recognize the change when going from dark to light.

I have found that using Bluetooth internet sharing the internet (Spotify) works really well, but then you can’t use CarPlay at the same time.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Bluetooth internet sharing is the way to go, tether it to your phone. Even if your Pixel is unlocked, your carrier may not allow it unless you add it to your plan.

I had the in-car AT&T activated and bought 6 months of connectivity before AT&T pulled their typical "the generous plan you liked before has been replaced by lots of more expensive little plans". That's when I started tethering. Never looked back. Since I don't use Android Auto, I'm fine with it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I always chuckle when I read posts like this. I just use my car as a...car. So as long as it starts and stops and turns and rides well, I'm generally happy.... But then I still write with fountain pens and play records on a turntable.

·
Registered
634 Posts
.... But then I still write with fountain pens and play records on a turntable.
I do too but I still like taking advantage of the technology in the things I buy, be a TV, a cellphone or my car. You already paid for it, it might as well operate properly.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I do not know if this is relevant or helpful. Nonetheless, have you reviewed TJ33633.1.2-2018-03-26 (No Internet Connection With Car Model - SIM Card Not Inserted - message)?

This TJ may have related to a temporary AT&T outage or reconfiguration. Anyway, you might take a look and see if it applies. If in the US, you can download it access here for around $6. Better to get a 3-day subscription for $2.50.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I always chuckle when I read posts like this. I just use my car as a...car. So as long as it starts and stops and turns and rides well, I'm generally happy.... But then I still write with fountain pens and play records on a turntable.
Boy, you said it, and I agree entirely. I think a lot of people would b a lot happier if they didn't spend the day walking around with their face in a smartphone. Connectivity? I don't want to be connected. I'm perfectly happy with my own thoughts and ideas.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bluetooth internet sharing is the way to go, tether it to your phone. Even if your Pixel is unlocked, your carrier may not allow it unless you add it to your plan.

I had the in-car AT&T activated and bought 6 months of connectivity before AT&T pulled their typical "the generous plan you liked before has been replaced by lots of more expensive little plans". That's when I started tethering. Never looked back. Since I don't use Android Auto, I'm fine with it.
Bluetooth isn't an option as I have a hotspot to use and am not using my phone. I have blackvue cameras in the car so the hotspot is there to provide access when the vehicle is off. I don't want my vehicle relying on my cell phone for anything. It needs to operate without my cell phone entirely.

I use fountain pens, turntables and am very happy doing things the old ways. However when I buy a car that requires internet for a number of its functions (integral to the operation of the vehicle or not), I expect them to work. Especially when I pay as much as I did for this vehicle. I don't use Android Auto or any of that and use the builtin GPS functionality as well as things like the Weather app frequently. Without internet access a number of these things just don't work.

I do not know if this is relevant or helpful. Nonetheless, have you reviewed TJ33633.1.2-2018-03-26 (No Internet Connection With Car Model - SIM Card Not Inserted - message)?

This TJ may have related to a temporary AT&T outage or reconfiguration. Anyway, you might take a look and see if it applies. If in the US, you can download it access here for around $6. Better to get a 3-day subscription for $2.50.
Thanks - I will take a look!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have blackvue cameras in the car so the hotspot is there to provide access when the vehicle is off.
Hotspot will not run if vehicle is off.

Do you have small globe icon visible on up left corner? This means it can connect to Volvo severs. If not your SIM or your SW in the car have a problem (I had this with the brand new car, was fixed in one visit to the service).

If yes, is it without a crossed line on it? This means it cannot connect to Volvo servers but your SIM should still be working. My understanding is that nothing works if Volvo servers cannot be connected to.

Anyways, Volvo techs should be able to fix this and demo to you working.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hotspot will not run if vehicle is off.

Do you have small globe icon visible on up left corner? This means it can connect to Volvo severs. If not your SIM or your SW in the car have a problem (I had this with the brand new car, was fixed in one visit to the service).

If yes, is it without a crossed line on it? This means it cannot connect to Volvo servers but your SIM should still be working. My understanding is that nothing works if Volvo servers cannot be connected to.

Anyways, Volvo techs should be able to fix this and demo to you working.

Good luck!

The hotspot and dash cam's (Blackvue) will work when the car is off as I have all of them on battery units.

With the AT&T sim I rarely get a globe but I will retest that today a bit as I didn't pay attention as much to that.

·
Registered
229 Posts
INTERNAL Volvo vehicle hotspot works only when car runs.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
INTERNAL Volvo vehicle hotspot works only when car runs.

Correct, thats why I have the separate one. Once AT&T ran out I was going to have the car just use my hotspot for everything so I didn't need two sims. Just gotta get this connectivity issue figured out first :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing, and the computer geek in me thought to try something, and it fixed all of my connectivity issues with it being a new car and ATT not working.. back out of the garage so you have normal signal level. Turn on the car's hotspot, configure it with a SSID and password as usual. Join it from a tablet or your phone. Open a browser and try to get to a URL. In my case I was greeted with the ATT EULA for the cell service, as soon as I accepted that, my weather apps, spotify, pandora, all instantly worked. No one at the dealership knew about this, but all of my data problems are solved. Now if I could just get past the "new software updates available" every, single, day.

Hope it help.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine was doing the same thing, and the computer geek in me thought to try something, and it fixed all of my connectivity issues with it being a new car and ATT not working.. back out of the garage so you have normal signal level. Turn on the car's hotspot, configure it with a SSID and password as usual. Join it from a tablet or your phone. Open a browser and try to get to a URL. In my case I was greeted with the ATT EULA for the cell service, as soon as I accepted that, my weather apps, spotify, pandora, all instantly worked. No one at the dealership knew about this, but all of my data problems are solved. Now if I could just get past the "new software updates available" every, single, day.

Hope it help.
Good thinking, i honestly didn't think of that. Will add to my list of things to try.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
Haha, nice "back in my day" post, I guess you disable traction control, airbags, and leave your seatbelts off too, because it's new tech.

Ribbing aside, an active internet connection does a lot for the driver. Personally, I use it for realtime traffic updates (since I live in a big city) and streaming internet radio stations. There is also a weather app (which is useful on long trips) and a few other apps you can install, which require the internet. All the stuff I use isn't distracting, I keep my eyes on the road and my phone stays in my pocket where it belongs. Also, due to the clunky nature of the navigation, it's easier to find a destination when you're parked, upload it to your car, then have it appear in the list of destinations you can choose from in-car. It takes seconds and lets the car take traffic data and other things into account and build your route. \

This isn't a low tech car anymore, thanks to Sensus. I suppose there are stripper models that are still pretty analog but I bought this car for what it can do to make driving easier for me, all the while delivering high quality music through 19 speakers. :)

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To follow up on this, I pulled the AT&T sim out, put a T-Mobile sim in and things magically just started working like they should! So yea, that AT&T sim was the entire problem.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts