SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 XC60 3.2
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone installed a onboard battery charger on the car? My car is 2012 XC60.

I want to install one because I work from home and in the winter, i need to charge the battery weekly to prevent it from freezing. It gets to -20 to -30 Celsius here! I was leaving the battery charger outside the car and someone stole it. Unbelievable. It cost only $20 from Aliexpress! They can buy one themself. So I want to install a onboard one under the car hood.

My question is where do you install the shore power inlet (110V)? I don't want to install to the rear.
If I install on the front bumper, it will looks ungly. Anywhere to install at the bottom of engine compartment?

See attached for example of shore power inlet.

White Output device Product Font Material property
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
13,994 Posts
Why do you need such a substantial plug? I think I see what you're doing - installing the charger in the car but I don't think you'd need a 30 amp!

Since the battery and main fuse panel are at the rear of the engine compartment on the driver side I mounted my charging point directly to the fuse panel and found a suitable ground nearby.

I have installed four of these on my cars and they work like a charm with a cheap Amazon C-tek clone. But this is just installed in my garage so may not work for your situation.

·
Registered
2012 XC60 3.2
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mounting the charger inside the hood is easy task. The problem is we need to connect to external 110V power socket to supply power to charge the battery. How did you connect to power outlet once you close the hood?

I think of one solution is snake the powerchord through the grill and secure it there. That's how I connect external charger previously. But the external charger wire is very thin and small unlike the 3 prongs 110V connector.

Automotive lighting Gadget Font Audio equipment Cable

·
Registered
2012 XC60 3.2
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found my answer. This guy installed the outlet at the bottom of front bumper. I'll take a look to see if there's a suitable place for XC60.

·
Registered
13,994 Posts
On mine I run the power out the trailing edge of the hood and just tuck it away when I drive the car.

Reactions: Thommykent

·
Registered
2012 XC60 3.2
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After some research on onboard chargers, there are some issues:
-The charger cord and charger itself may erode quickly due to constant exreme cold and heat exposure esppecially the cord crack in extreme cold e.g. -30 celcius.
-There's not much room in XC60 engine compartment to permantly install a charger.

I just realized the flat power cord can stick outside the hood when the hood is closed. There's just enough room so the hood won't crash the flat power cord and the cord can still move freely. There's like 1mm space. The big round power cord won't fit.

So, here's what I'll do. Everytime I want to charge the car battery, I'll open the hood, put the charger in loosely. Use a flat power cord to extend to outside. After I am done charging, open hood and remove charger and power cord. The charger has a SAE quick disconnect. Yes, it's a hassle to open and close hood every time to charge. But I only need to charge once per week in the winter, that means 12 times per year..I don't need to charge in the summer. Not too bad.. Then the thief can't steal the charger, not even the power cord.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car

Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Car Wheel

·
Registered
321 Posts
Some months back I was looking into ways of keeping my other car's battery charged (while parked on the street) in the wintertime. That led me to suggestions like solar chargers and other stuff. Apparently VW was including a solar panel that plugs into a cigarette lighter (I read there was also an OBD2 version) to keep batteries topped off while shipping. Although I'm not sure if solar maintainer will keep your battery warm enough, perhaps using the OBD2 port is an option for easy charger plug-in (probably needs to look up the current limit for the fuse that protects the hot pin). That's probably less hassle than converting one of the lighter plugs to always hot.

·
Registered
2012 XC60 3.2
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To charge by solar panel, you'll need a big one to be affective but the windows area is very limited. It'll work if the whole car roof is covered with solar panel.
Charge the car battery on the street is a challenge. Luckily, I park at a parking lot with power outlet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts