SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Kind of new to the forum always would come on here to research and whatnot just never registered. So I have decided I'm going to purchase an S60R. I miss owning a Volvo first car was a 88 240DL and about two years ago I parted with my 96 850 T-5. So I found an 04 S60R 6 speed with 53k and they are asking 14,995. It is stated that the clutch was just replaced as well as master and slave cylinder. Is there anything I should pay extra careful attention to? I read about doing the AWD test (first gear and just mat the pedal and see how the car reacts) add states that AWD works. I also read something about the angle gear, what are some symptoms of a failing angle gear. I feel comfortable that this car is coming from a small volvo shop close to me and have been dealing with strictly volvos for roughly 42 years. And the car comes with some sort of warranty (not sure what type). So is there any questions I should ask or any things I should look for?

Thanks in Advance!
Sean

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
Hey guys,
Kind of new to the forum always would come on here to research and whatnot just never registered. So I have decided I'm going to purchase an S60R. I miss owning a Volvo first car was a 88 240DL and about two years ago I parted with my 96 850 T-5. So I found an 04 S60R 6 speed with 53k and they are asking 14,995. It is stated that the clutch was just replaced as well as master and slave cylinder. Is there anything I should pay extra careful attention to? I read about doing the AWD test (first gear and just mat the pedal and see how the car reacts) add states that AWD works. I also read something about the angle gear, what are some symptoms of a failing angle gear. I feel comfortable that this car is coming from a small volvo shop close to me and have been dealing with strictly volvos for roughly 42 years. And the car comes with some sort of warranty (not sure what type). So is there any questions I should ask or any things I should look for?

Thanks in Advance!
Sean
2004 with 53k? not bad, but not worth $15k either.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
13k if it is immaculate, which I know it won't be. But I can tell you you are paying a lot for those low miles, value will plummet rapidly once you put the miles on it, you can find 80k 04 Rs for under 10k.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its been a struggle to find a S60R 6 speed manual in my area, they are usually all automatics (which I do not want). But here are some pics of the car. I pulled these pictures off their website but once I get to test drive it and check it out for myself ill throw the man a offer and see what comes of it.

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
Angle gears can go sudden.
My 1st was humming after some 25K(km) and within warranty so it was swapped. My 2nd broke a few teeth sudden (±75k(km), no warning at all after some inspiring driving I was in the cooldownmode already and when I left a round-about it barfed and rattled instandly (at least 3 tooth's were broken). I was no redlight racer nor dragraced back then. I push the car to limit but only with respect to mechanics and after fully heating up. Hey I wanna have fun sometime. The sleeve sofar not failed.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
well it looks good based on these usual poor quality 20 ft photos. But if I were gonna plunk down $15k on a low miles 04 it better be a 5ft car.

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
I see some wear on driverside bolsterchushion, but then again 2004 R seats RUUULE, No other R can beat the YM04 R seats.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Understandable, hopefully Ill be able to go and check the car out tomorrow and see what its all about. And I did notice the wear on the seats which really doesnt bother me. Im use to driving around my Old reliable 88 f250 7.3 idi diesel. So some things just dont bother me too much. But also I do not want to overpay for the car.

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
If you gonna drive the car... you can easy check if awd is working.... floor the car and you (should) notice no wheelspin. Then pull up the parkingbrake a few clicks (light should show up in instruments), floor again from a standstill/crawling and you got torquesteering like hell. If you noticed the difference the awd is working.
Don't pull the parkingbrake that high you block wheels, just high enough to engage the light in the instrument panel!!!!
(the awd is not engaged when braking force is applied because it's more stable during braking then).
BTW never pull the parkingbrake above speeds 80km/h or you damage the awd-system coz it won't disengage at higher speeds.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I assume that by engaging the parking brake a couple of clicks for the light to pop on it "disengages" power to the rear wheels correct?

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
I assume that by engaging the parking brake a couple of clicks for the light to pop on it "disengages" power to the rear wheels correct?
yes, unless the owner adjusted it THAT tight so it blocks the rearwheels already at 1st nodge :S
Car is FWD then, wheelspin and torquesteer as hell.. but freaky fast if you can put it down.

MY parkingbrake only blocks the rears in the almost upright position, I wanna be in control ;) not that i went for fwd often (maybe 5 times in 9 yrs sofar).

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Just because it comes from a small service center that has been working on Volvos for years doesn't mean they know much about the "quirks" of the R. The basic Volvo work is the same.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
2004 with 53k? not bad, but not worth $15k either.
x2

I sold my 04 with 45K for around that.........1.5 years ago. Then again, I also had meticulous service records.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
x2

I sold my 04 with 45K for around that.........1.5 years ago. Then again, I also had meticulous service records.
Did it have blue brake fluid when you sold it??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts