SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't know what to do about my wife's 2000 V70R.
She loves it but we've had it for almost 6 years and it's getting there in mileage (107K)
Still as perfect as the day we got it (actually better for the most part) and I have no idea what to replace it with.
I have to replace the control arms (original) and another spring seat but everything else is brand new including new nivomats at 101K miles!

I almost bought a 2000 V70XC with 18,000 miles to replace it, (yes the miles were real) but the seller and I just could not make a deal plus I would have had a $1100 transportation bill, car was in CA).

Some of you have asked me in the past about it, if you're still here email me.
Neither of these wheels are on it now, it has original Satellites off my Southern Silver VR which came from TX, so no salt and they look nearly new.
It also will need new tires soon, they will go on in the fall.
I'm really grabbing at straws as I have no idea what to replace it with if it goes away!

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Getting there in mileage at 107k?

Crap.

I'm at 225k on the V70 and 150k on the 850R. :(

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's your problem, not mine
R should be fine, the V70 IS getting up there

·
Registered
97 Posts
pshaw.. if it ain't broke, don't fix it!! in other words, why do you want to sell it? such a good looking car.. my wife and i already decided we're going to keep our saffy until doomsday.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
That's your problem, not mine
R should be fine, the V70 IS getting up there
Because I was trying to make it your problem?

Anyway. Both are fine. I am aware that the V70 might die at anytime, but for the past 75K miles, it's had less issues than my buddies 50k mile STS.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
If she likes the car, I wouldn't change it. You know it is in good shape and drives the way you want it to, but if you buy another car it'll end up needing a couple things here and there to be 100%. If you do get rid of it, I can't for the life of me understand why you'd get another V70--regardless of miles, it can't be as good as that R is.

I guess I can sum that up as "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
You already know that if you repaired the few needed items, it would be a great car for a few more years, then keep replacing things as they come up. It's well cared for and you know everything about it, why start fresh?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hmmm...I've got a 1994 subaru wagon with 195k and $2,000. What do you think Jim, sound like a deal?

Hope this finds a good home if you do end up selling.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
so basically, you just don't want to have to do the needed maintenance between 110-140,000 miles. Right....

You know these things can last a hell of a lot longer than that. Your mileage is NOTHING.

My 98 is at 145,000 miles and it has had the ever living piss driven out of it it's whole life.

Yeah recently it's taken a bit of work, but nothing out of the ordinary: AWD driveshaft, control arm, oil pan o-rings, PCV system, O2 sensors, Timing belt back at110 or something. OH yeah, did I mention i'm now pushing 17psi and it's happy as could be?

Only thing it's going to need in another 10-20K is a new/rebuilt turbo.

you're full of it.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
so basically, you just don't want to have to do the needed maintenance between 110-140,000 miles. Right....

You know these things can last a hell of a lot longer than that. Your mileage is NOTHING.

My 98 is at 145,000 miles and it has had the ever living piss driven out of it it's whole life.

Yeah recently it's taken a bit of work, but nothing out of the ordinary: AWD driveshaft, control arm, oil pan o-rings, PCV system, O2 sensors, Timing belt back at110 or something. OH yeah, did I mention i'm now pushing 17psi and it's happy as could be?

Only thing it's going to need in another 10-20K is a new/rebuilt turbo.

you're full of it.

Go easy on Jim. He's not very familiar with these cars....still new to the volvo scene, but he's learning as much as he can!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you're full of it.
Excuse me???
Car needs nothing
I just did it's SECOND T belt, (first one was done for whatever reason in 04 but no tensioner....almost lost the engine)!
Entire suspension has been rebuilt with new everything front to back, new propshaft
Propshaft comes out every March and goes in in DEC to save the AWD components
Evap, heater core, blower motors, all are new in the past 20K etc etc
Mobil 1 every 4K miles and has had M1 since 30K miles.
Tranny drain and fills every other oil change
What maintenance? everything has been done!

I think YOU'RE full of it so ZIP IT

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Excuse me???
Car needs nothing
I just did it's SECOND T belt, (first one was done for whatever reason in 04 but no tensioner....almost lost the engine)!
Entire suspension has been rebuilt with new everything front to back, new propshaft

I think YOU'RE full of it so ZIP IT
You do a drain and fill every 8k miles? Jesus, why?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Car needs nothing
Doesn't this answer your question for you then? If you've done such frequent fluid changes, why put all of that money to waste and get rid of the car? The purpose of changing your fluids more often than needed is to extend the life of an engine/transmission for your ownership and enjoyment!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Doesn't this answer your question for you then? If you've done such frequent fluid changes, why put all of that money to waste and get rid of the car? The purpose of changing your fluids more often than needed is to extend the life of an engine/transmission for your ownership and enjoyment!
exactly.

Your car is perfect and needs nothing, yet you complain that it's getting there in miles.

Sounds like you're just trying to get the car attention before selling it.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
You do a drain and fill every 8k miles? Jesus, why?
Probably because he is dealing with arguably the worst transmission ever put into an R.....

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Did you not read?
We've had the car for nearly 6 years, probably time for something a bit newer.
She's the one who drives everywhere, down to the shore etc, back and forth picking up her mother and a GEN 1 VR this nice should now probably not be used as a daily driver anymore.

Probably because he is dealing with arguably the worst transmission ever put into an R.....
and this one is good and I plan for it to stay that way

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
exactly.

Your car is perfect and needs nothing, yet you complain that it's getting there in miles.

Sounds like you're just trying to get the car attention before selling it.
:D Whaaa...?!! Would Jim do that??!!!

Or just reaching for that elusive 50,000th post :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Did you not read?
We've had the car for nearly 6 years, probably time for something a bit newer.
I read, and I still don't think "probably time" is a good enough reason to get rid of a car you've dumped tons of money into to keep it as perfect as it is. "She loves it" is good enough reason to keep it and do a few minor repairs now - if your wife is content with it, you may not want to mess with that or you'll have to wear earphones to drown out the complaining :D

I'm not throwing thousands into my '99 just for someone else to reap the benefits in a few years - Did you maintain it just for resale value in the future?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I almost bought a 2000 V70XC with 18,000 miles to replace it, (yes the miles were real) but the seller and I just could not make a deal plus I would have had a $1100 transportation bill, car was in CA).
Is this still available, and do you have a link?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts