SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are now sitting in the SAS lounge in Newark. Very nice way to start our OSD journey. I guess I will sit, relax, and have my second beer while we wait to begin boarding. So far so good Volvo.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My wife and I are now sitting in the SAS lounge in Newark. Very nice way to start our OSD journey. I guess I will sit, relax, and have my second beer while we wait to begin boarding. So far so good Volvo.
We're right behind you, by 59 days. We'll be sitting in the SAS lounge in Newark on August, 20.

·
Registered
347 Posts
We did not locate the Chicago SAS business lounge in time to use our coupons. I had my free Tuborg beer on our SAS flight.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First day in Stockholm. A bit of rain and cool, but still a nice day walking a beautiful city. Jet lag is tough but we still managed to walk several miles to see the area around the old city. Architecture is similar to Vienna and Lucerne. One more day in Stockholm, take the train to Gothenburg on Monday and then off to the FDC on Tuesday.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
First day in Stockholm. A bit of rain and cool, but still a nice day walking a beautiful city. Jet lag is tough but we still managed to walk several miles to see the area around the old city. Architecture is similar to Vienna and Lucerne. One more day in Stockholm, take the train to Gothenburg on Monday and then off to the FDC on Tuesday.
Please keep us updated...........I am reliving my recent trip as I read your posts...........fun times await!!!!! Be sure to take pictures in front of the large VOLVO factory sign!!!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Another suggestion for all of you that require a front and back license plate in your state.............while at the FDC ask for a second FDC/Gothenburg Sweden license plate frame so you have one for the front AND back when you get home. You will thank me!!!! :)
Some people take them home with them (I did) so they are not "lost" during transportation back to the USA..........

·
Registered
347 Posts
We took a long evening walk in Copenhagen and admired some recent Volvo V70s...along with Peugeots and Citroens which are rarely found in the USA. We owned a Peuget 504 diesel years ago. We join Mstak in Goteborg on Tuesday for our S80 pickup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi guys, just reading your threads makes my wait even more exciting, flying to Gothenburg next Wednesday July4th to pick up our XC60 it is our first OSD. We took 3 weeks for our trip. The day of pick up we take ferry from Trelleborg to Rostock and then to Prague for 4 days, then through Austria, Hungary and Bosnia Herzegovina to Croatia for a week then ferry to Italy then drive through France to Paris to drop the car of. Can't wait.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jarmark, sounds exciting. When in Croatia, try to make it to Trogir, a Unesco World Heritage town. Another great morning and afternoon in Stockholm. Some rain, but mostly sun. Walked forever around town and made it to Skansen. It is the Williamsburg of Sweden. We have already enjoyed some of the best salmon and herring we have ever had.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Jarmark, sounds exciting. When in Croatia, try to make it to Trogir, a Unesco World Heritage town. Another great morning and afternoon in Stockholm. Some rain, but mostly sun. Walked forever around town and made it to Skansen. It is the Williamsburg of Sweden. We have already enjoyed some of the best salmon and herring we have ever had.
Highly recommend Fem Sma Hus in Gamla Stan (Stockholm) for dinner.........

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Fem Sma Hus

+1, the reindeer is outstanding here!

·
Registered
6 Posts
On the train now between Stockholm and Gothenburg. A couple of obs about the trip so far:

The SAS lounge in Chicago while nice, has very little food. Plus, there are no eateries post security in the international terminal... Eat before you get through...

Optiontown was a bust for us on the way over. Then my in seat screen was dead, which I briefly thought would get us upgraded for free... But the only option they provided was moving away from my husband to an empty middle seat, even though economy+ was roughly 50% full. (chose to stay in my seat and read on the kindle).

Stockholm was lovely, though relatively quiet due to midsommar. We did go over to Skansen and danced like frogs though as part of the celebration. Stayed at Hotel Rival (owned by ABBA band member), bed was super comfy, breakfast was fantastic. Ate at Herman's (vegetarian buffet w/great food and views) and Fem Sma Hus (very expensive, but tasty & unique and they made the vegetarian option vegan for my husband which was awesome; I had the reindeer--who knew Rudolph was so tasty & tender?)

About to arrive in Gothenburg, pick up car tomorrow!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Forgot to mention, if visiting Stockholm, the Vasa museum is pretty darn cool. (ship from 1628 that sunk about 1 mile off shore; restored ~1990s w/95% of it original)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
On the train now between Stockholm and Gothenburg. A couple of obs about the trip so far:

The SAS lounge in Chicago while nice, has very little food. Plus, there are no eateries post security in the international terminal... Eat before you get through...

Optiontown was a bust for us on the way over. Then my in seat screen was dead, which I briefly thought would get us upgraded for free... But the only option they provided was moving away from my husband to an empty middle seat, even though economy+ was roughly 50% full. (chose to stay in my seat and read on the kindle).

Stockholm was lovely, though relatively quiet due to midsommar. We did go over to Skansen and danced like frogs though as part of the celebration. Stayed at Hotel Rival (owned by ABBA band member), bed was super comfy, breakfast was fantastic. Ate at Herman's (vegetarian buffet w/great food and views) and Fem Sma Hus (very expensive, but tasty & unique and they made the vegetarian option vegan for my husband which was awesome; I had the reindeer--who knew Rudolph was so tasty & tender?)

About to arrive in Gothenburg, pick up car tomorrow!
Very excited for you!!!!! Enjoy.......

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Sounds like a great trip!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Our 3 hour train ride from Stockholm to Gothenburg turned into a 6 hour train ride. Apparantly some of the power lines were down on our route, so we were diverted. Glad we chose first class, it made the long ride a bit more tolerable. Much rain today, but it did subside so that we could walk to dinner. Smaka provides good Swedish fair; and the prices are reasonable (for Sweden).

I see that some of my fellow OSDers are somewhere in the Radisson tonight anticipating the long awaited "delivery" tomorrow. As we left the train station and walked to the Radisson, I spotted the familiar red license plate on a new Volvo sitting out front of the hotel.

Tomorrow has been a long wait. It's been over a year since my wife and I decided to OSD.

·
Registered
347 Posts
After a $40 taxi ride through congested central Copenhagen to the train station we spent about $88 for Gothenburg tickets and rushed onto the wrong train. It was easy to fix that error by getting off in Malmo and waiting 20 minutes for the Goteborg train. I wish Amtrak was as comfortable, clean and punctual as the Scandinavian trains.

Both restaurants we initially walked to for dinner were closed so we ended up at Star of India directly behind the SAS Radisson. Reasonable prices and vegetarian choices were available.

Looking forward to the OSD delivery of our flamenco red S80 3.2L. Tomorrow..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Our family will be there next Monday. Please save some meatballs for us! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sitting at the Volvo factory now w/mstak waiting on lunch... Exciting to finally pick up the car and extremely nice to go through all the car specifics. Looking forward to the tour and hitting the open (?) road!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts