SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting in SAS Newark lounge. Pretty cool to FINALLY be starting this adventure.
Expecting cooler weather and FUN driving
Thanks to Bob Kennedy for hours and hours of questions and advice.
Now we'll see what electrum gold looks like in real life. :) sorry my kindle fire can't post pictures.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sitting in SAS Newark lounge. Pretty cool to FINALLY be starting this adventure.
Expecting cooler weather and FUN driving
Thanks to Bob Kennedy for hours and hours of questions and advice.
Now we'll see what electrum gold looks like in real life. :) sorry my kindle fire can't post pictures.
We're a little more than four weeks behind you picking up the same car, 2012 S60 T5, Electrum Gold, Beechwood & Soft Beige. We leave from EWR on August 20. If you have a chance post some pictures of the car. We're really interested to see what it looks like in real life also.

·
Registered
79 Posts
We're a little more than four weeks behind you picking up the same car, 2012 S60 T5, Electrum Gold, Beechwood & Soft Beige. We leave from EWR on August 20. If you have a chance post some pictures of the car. We're really interested to see what it looks like in real life also.
If I remember correctly there are PCs at the FDC that you can use for posting pics.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I considered getting the Gold but couldn't find really good pictures. I really like the Vibrant Copper (and my wife wearing the #704 Volvo Nail Polish to our 25th Wedding Anniversary celebration).

There were PC's at FDC but I wasn't able to get them to connect. We left the laptop & Kindle at the hotel so didn't check wifi availability. There's certainly wifi at McDonald's. We took advantage of that several times to make hotel reservations from the road mid-afternoon via the Kindle Fire. And charged the Kindle itself via USB in the car.

Have a great trip! How long? Where are you headed?

This was also our first Volvo, first OSD, not first time driving in Europe. We covered 3000 miles over 21 days, 6 countries, and a lifetime of memories.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FINALLY back!

Not so much driving but we're very impressed with Stockholm and had a terrific Baltic cruise - long story.

Volvo FDC, state-side travel and customer service folks were all amazing.

I was more than a bit anxious as we arrived at FDC not being able to see a real-life electrum gold in person before committing to it months ago. FDC greeting and settling-in was very smooth. Gustav reviewed all the documents, details confirmed, signatures added, preview of insurance, registration and driving plans completed; then he went off through the Presentation Room doors to go get the car, leaving us to read through the docs and finish our coffee. Minutes passed. I finally looked up to see the car already in the Presentation Room - WAY COOL! - sigh of relief - BIG SMILE! Gustav returned to bring us into the Presentation Room and introduce us to our first ever Volvo. VERY NICELY DONE VOLVO!

Inside the FDC presentation room

Beechwood with soft beige

In front of FDC

Couldn't help myself

Urbane inlays lookn good

Thanks again to Bob Kennedy, University Volvo!

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Nice...........enjoy!!! :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Gustav did our June 2012 OSD introduction too. A sweet guy!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Great pics and a great car. But when you get home I want to see a pic of the S60 next to the '65 Continental. Enjoy the trip!

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Like those seats. Cool color combo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny you should mention the '65. It's the hot topic in the house these days.

We have a 2 car garage. My '02 ES300 sits outside every day of the year while my partner's newer ES330 resides snugly inside. Guess what's sitting inside with the newer ES.... the Continental. No room for my daily car.

It was my parents' car as I grew up in Texas. I drove it up to Mass in the '80s thinking it might be fun. Unfortunately, it hasn't been registered or driven since 1999 and looks pretty sad under a layer of garage dust.

So, here's the quandary - finally sell the Lincoln and take the ES to Florida for winter months? Or, sell the ES and store the Lincoln somewhere else, delaying the inevitable?

I really want the new S60 in the garage but I'm having trouble coping with the thought of parting with the sentimental '65 and/or the always-reliable ES.

I'll take the pic you suggest when the newer ES is out for the day. It should make for a fun look at odd companions. We're home now but the S60's not expected until late August or early September if I remember the ETA correctly.

Bill

Great pics and a great car. But when you get home I want to see a pic of the S60 next to the '65 Continental. Enjoy the trip!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not so much driving but we're very impressed with Stockholm and had a terrific Baltic cruise - long story.

Volvo FDC, state-side travel and customer service folks were all amazing.

I was more than a bit anxious as we arrived at FDC not being able to see a real-life electrum gold in person before committing to it months ago. FDC greeting and settling-in was very smooth. Gustav reviewed all the documents, details confirmed, signatures added, preview of insurance, registration and driving plans completed; then he went off through the Presentation Room doors to go get the car, leaving us to read through the docs and finish our coffee. Minutes passed. I finally looked up to see the car already in the Presentation Room - WAY COOL! - sigh of relief - BIG SMILE! Gustav returned to bring us into the Presentation Room and introduce us to our first ever Volvo. VERY NICELY DONE VOLVO!
Thanks for the pics. We're taking delivery of its twin on Aug. 22. Electrum Gold S60 T5, Beechwood & Soft Beige Leather, Premium Package, Climate Package, Blis. Rear Park Assist Camera, Keyless Drive w/ PCC.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Bill, great story on the Continental. I can relate as our pair of Merkurs (XR4Ti and Scorpio - look them up if needed) have not seen use in a couple years. The XR4Ti was my daily driver for well over a decade and the Scorpio was my uncle's for almost twenty. We luckily have two two-car garages. Audi S4 takes up the spot next to our April OSD XC60.

Don't go out o f the way for a pic. I just thought that would be neat as the Continental is so iconic and almost four decades removed from the S60. Or maybe that is the impetus to get it clean.....

-Jon

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Bill, great story on the Continental. I can relate as our pair of Merkurs (XR4Ti and Scorpio - look them up if needed)

-Jon
Wow, I haven't thought about an exerati for many years! I had a couple of earlier 'attempts' at Mercury world cars in the US...'73 and '76 Capri 2.8 back in the early catalytic converter days. Held my own at the local autocross. Also had a'96 Mystique Duratec for a couple of years...car would fly but had some bugs. RIP Mercury

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don't want to be a thread-jacker, but the Merkur crowd is going stronger than ever even after 25 years. We don't even mind it being called Mur-kur Exerati. No one could pronounce it correctly in the 80's, so why worry about it now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts