SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

On Call Plus will soon expire - FOR EVER I might add. Hmmm - Volvo for life is meaningless IMO

7K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  Yuro 
#1 ·
Today I was horrified to find out Volvo has made a serious blunder and a decision they have not shared ahead of time with their VOCP customer base (at least I've not had advance notice). They have cancelled their OnCallPlus service with the OnCall service provider.

The rest of this is a rant so please excuse and stop reading if you've no further interest. However, I'm appealing to other Volvo customers who have the VOCP feature in their car(s).

My current VOCP service expires June 25 and sure enough at the -30 day point my car's display indicated my "On Call Plus will soon expire". I pressed the OnCall button to have it renewed and was told that Volvo has cancelled their OnCall service feature and that after June 25 I will no longer have the luxury/use of VOCP. I was understandably shaken by this news. How could this be as Volvo had not sent me any advance notice of this and they sure knew I had purchased this with my car when new.

I find this Volvo action inexcusable and a HUGE black mark against it for customer satisfaction and involvement etc etc etc. If Volvo has sent out advance notice about this cancellation I did not receive it - has anyone ? I knew about a year ago the analog Integrated phone in my S60R may become obsolete and Cingular (was AT&T) may decide to drop servicing this type of phone, but so far haven't.

I bought VOCP mainly for the Emergency aspect of it. The Integrated phone was also very nice as it was a true hands-free phone which is a must-have for me with a 6-speed transmission.

I'm a lone occupant in my S60R for the most part and drive at night quite a bit and tend to drive fast out in the sticks on long runs at times. The OnCall and SOS features of the VOCP system are my protection to a large degree in the event I come a cropper one night; heart attack, sudden cramp in leg, diving into a black hole, swerving off road into ditch or while driving and having fun out in the sticks on my lonesome. Laying semi-unconscious on a dark night in pouring rain out in the sticks after swerving to avoid a Deer and ending up in the ditch now means my SOS cannot help me. How could Volvo be so unkind me thinks.

No matter - it appears I now have no recourse other than to contact Volvo about this matter to understand what my options are. What will others do I ask ?

My S60R is still under full warranty and this includes my VOCP hardware. Volvo has without notice made this hardware inoperative come June 25 for me. Under the warranty I believe I have a good reason to seek some form of $relief from Volvo.

What are other VOCP customers doing about this ?
Shoud we band together in some manner and speak with a single group voice to Volvo ?
Will Volvo be sympathetic and provide an acceptable soln ?
Under full Volvo warranty what are our legal options with Volvo ?
Has anyone been given advance notice about the VOCP cancellation ?
Will my integrated hands-free phone continue to work after June 25 ? I believe it will so long as Cingular doesn't discontinue supporting analog phones.

Sigh - I will be speaking with my local Volvo dealership tomorrow about this whole sorry affair and have them look into what my options are. After finding out the details and correcting any of my misunderstandings in this matter I will also be writing to Volvo to express my outrage and that this could very well interfer with me continuing my 30 years of Volvo ownership along with my family and extended family if I have my way.

Sorry for the rant but felt compelled to post my feelings to others in the Volvo family.

Hmmmm - "Volvo for life" takes on a whole new meaning for me now.

Regards... Barry

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: On Call Plus will soon expire - FOR EVER I might add. Hmmm - Volvo for li ... (barrysharp)

Hey, on the bright side, Volvo has stated that they will remove the dashboard part of the phone and replace it with the cubbyhole. AT NO EXTRA CHARGE! Isn't that generous of them?

I suspect the phone bit will stop working too unless you're contracted directly through cingular. If I recall correctly, the phone service bit was provided through the On-Call program. If so, you MIGHT be able to get cingular to activate the phone, but they're strictly GSM right now, and support TDMA/Analog only on legacy phones and accounts.

#3 ·
Re: On Call Plus will soon expire - FOR EVER I might add. Hmmm - Volvo for li ... (partridge)

Old, old news

#4 ·
Re: On Call Plus will soon expire - FOR EVER I might add. Hmmm - Volvo for li ... (JRL)

JRL:

Give me a more constructive feedback - when did you learn about Volvo cancelling VOCP and were you notified by Email and/or US mail ? If not do you know when others were formally notified ? Thanks.

#5 ·
Re: On Call Plus will soon expire - FOR EVER I might add. Hmmm - Volvo for li ... (barrysharp)

Quote, originally posted by Volvo Cars of North America »

Volvo On Call Plus Service Subscription, dated 05/10/2006

This letter is to inform you of important changes that will affect your Volvo On Call Plus subscription.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has granted wireless carriers the authority to discontinue analog cellular service. Cellular carriers have decided to invest in digital platforms that provide better service and security.

This re-focus by cellular carriers has resulted in analog services becoming less prevalent in many areas of the United States. Decreases in service availability will continue and will completely terminate in February of 2008 when cellular carriers are no longer required to support the analog network.

A specific ruling by the Federal Communication Commission will allow our network provider (Verizon) and others to completely discontinue analog service on February 18, 2008. Verizon has communicated that they plan on exercising this option.

Impact to Volvo On Call Plus
1. Your Volvo On Call Plus system relies on the analog cellular network in order to achieve 2-way communication between your vehicle and tour Call Center Network.
2. Cellular carriers will continue to phase out their analog service coverage throughout the United States until it is completely phased out in 2008.
3. At Volvo our main concern is the safety and the well being of our customers. We are notifying you that the performance level of the On Call Plus system will begin to deteriorate.

What does that mean to you?
1. We have decided to discontinue the renewal subscriptions for Volvo On Call Plus. We have no control over the level of service that is being provided by cellular analog carriers. Since Volvo cannot guarantee the quality of analog cellular service level throughout the U.S., we feel that this is the best course of action for our customers.
2. In the interest of customer satisfaction, Volvo Cars of North America, LLC is providing you the option to remove your On Call Plus system from your vehicle. The phone/unit key pad will be replaced with a dashboard storage receptacle. Please contact your local Volvo retailer to arrange an appointment to have your On Call Plus unit removed.
3. You still have full On Call Roadside Assistance coverage for for years from your vehicle's original in-service date. You can access this service by calling 1-800-63-VOLVO (1-800-638-6586).

Please contact your local Volvo retailer to arrange for an appointment if you choose to take advantage of our offer to remove the On Call Plus device from your vehicle. If you have any additional questions, please contact the Volvo Customer Care Center at 1-800-458-1552.

Questions and Answers

Are there any other solutions now or in the future to adapt the Volvo On Call Plus system to be compatible with digital networking?

No, there is no viable solutaion for adapting to digital.

Can I continue my On Call Plus subscription to the very end when the FCC allows the termination of analog cellular?

No, in the interest of driver safety there would not be acceptable network coverage.

When I make an appointment with my local Volvo retailer, do I tell them that this is a warranty repair?

No, Volvo's retailer network would be advised how to handle this matter at no cost to you.

I currently use my AT&T service through the On Call Plus system. How will Volvo handle that?

If you still have a functional personal cellular service subscription with AT&T then it would be your option to leave the unit in your vehicle and use it for the sole purpose of making personal phone calls.

If I decide to do nothing and leave the unit in my vehicle, what will happen?

You will get the following text message in the driver's information window every time you turn on the ignition: "Volvo On Call Plus Not Activated." The only way to have the message go away permanently is to have the unit removed from the vehicle.

This was a letter that is sent out to all customers whose vehicles have the On Call Plus system once they near the end of their 12 month subscription. It's possible that this letter could be en route to you since you're so close to your service expiration. If you don't receive the letter, I'd suggest calling Customer Care to ensure they have correct address information for you.

Based on this letter sent to On Call Plus subscribers (and other internal Volvo documenation that I'm not at liberty to share), it appears that this situation is no fault of Volvo's. When the system debuted, greater coverage was provided with analog than digital. In the years that this system was offered, obviously digital took over in the coverage department. Hindsight is 20/20 . . . foresight, not so much. So I really don't think it's fair to say it's Volvo's fault here. Our government's fault? Yeah.

With regard to financial compensation . . . you have NO IDEA how expensive it is to completely remove the On Call Plus system. I've sold pre-owned vehicles with the system in it and have had customers want it removed. Once they were informed of the labor charges, not ONE single customer ever opted to have the system removed.

So look at it this way: this situation was something outside of the control of Volvo, and certainly not VCNA's fault. Yet, VCNA is offering to spend a lot of money to remove these units free of charge. I think that's taking the high road.

I would suggest that, in lieu of the On Call Plus system, upgrade your cell phone service to digital and have the Bluetooth hands-free cell phone kit installed in your car. The call quality will be better than what you've currently got, and you'll still maintain the hands-free capability you desire.

Obviously there's nothing that can be done about the On Call Plus service itself that you'll be losing . . . that's a shame. You really don't have any options here, short of purchasing a GM product.

Anyways . . . I hope this information helps. Let me know if there's anything else I can do.

#7 ·
This is my opinion - I think the "compensation" should include BOTH removal AND installation of the Bluetooth module. I use the built-in phone and love having the safety aspect, but not if it is going to "warn" me every single day that someothing completely out of my control is no longer functioning.... Grrrr....

#8 ·
Re: (djeuch)

Quote, originally posted by djeuch »
I think the "compensation" should include BOTH removal AND installation of the Bluetooth module.

Never hurts to call Volvo Customer Care and ask

#10 ·

Quote, originally posted by djeuch »
This is my opinion - I think the "compensation" should include BOTH removal AND installation of the Bluetooth module. I use the built-in phone and love having the safety aspect, but not if it is going to "warn" me every single day that someothing completely out of my control is no longer functioning.... Grrrr....

This is going to be my approach to this debacle. I do see that it's not Volvo's doing after reading Salesman's post and having talked with my local Volvo dealership this morning about this. Apparently the integrated phone will continue to work so long as Cingular continues to support the analog phone device in the car and I pay my monthly dues. However, it seems that FCC has given permission to all to discontinue analog by Feb 18 2008 so I suppose I'll have to do something about the integrated phone by then.

If the BlueTooth thingy works I will push hard for Volvo to replace my complete VOCP with a Bluetooth setup.

I'm disappointed to be losing the OnCall emergency feature though.

#11 ·
A group voice on this one would probably help.... how to get a list of all On-call Plus customers?

I hate to say it, but it's not "law suit material" but close to that needed to get that list. I imagine that many consumers would be a sizable voice..... I don't fancy having an $835 option that was rendered useless before even the factory warranty ran out!!!

#12 ·

Quote, originally posted by barrysharp »
JRL:

Give me a more constructive feedback - when did you learn about Volvo cancelling VOCP and were you notified by Email and/or US mail ? If not do you know when others were formally notified ? Thanks.
This was posted here, oh about a year ago with plenty of following discussion. When the first remewal letters went out, some people were informed that this was going to happen.
Get a bluetooth phone, I am. They work great and you can take it from car to car

Since I don't have it (Volvo on call) I see no reason why I would have been notified

#14 ·

BTW, same with BMW phones. (Circa late 90's, early 2000's)
The original owners paid a pretty penny for those, only to find them obsolete in about two years

#15 ·
Re: (JRL)

I'm going to ask for the in dash cup holder and not the "hole in the wall" when I have the phone removed.

#16 ·
Re: (TexasV70R)

Volvo supported the wrong horse in this race of technology, but I would of thought they would of thought this one through before notifying their customers. Volvo needs to make good on their sale of an option that went south with the development the supporting technology. They need to install the BT for the OCP, and it still doesn't make up for the lost emergency feature.
At least when Beta VCR decks went out it wasn't as big a lose.

#17 ·
Re: (Our R)

Quote, originally posted by Our R »
Volvo supported the wrong horse in this race of technology, but I would of thought they would of thought this one through before notifying their customers. Volvo needs to make good on their sale of an option that went south with the development the supporting technology. They need to install the BT for the OCP, and it still doesn't make up for the lost emergency feature.
At least when Beta VCR decks went out it wasn't as big a lose.

I've asked my dealership for the BT kit to be installed for zero cost as compensation for losing OCP. They didn't say NO and are considering my proposition and will get back to me within two days. If I'm going to lose my integrated phone between now and Feb 18, 2008 I might as well strike while the iron is hot, so to speak.

#18 ·
Re: (barrysharp)

I have stopped using mine anyway, when AT&T sold my service it screwed up my account - I have had it with both companies (AT&T and Suntrust?).

I wish that they had a bluetooth cell phone setup with the same user interface as OCP - the bluetooth dongle sucks ugly donkey balls.

Anyway - it was OK for a while, and at least the leasing company paid 60% of the cost of the option.

#20 ·

If any of you get to keep the OCP hardware (and if I were you I'd insist on it, it's not like you were leasing it from Volvo), can I have the keypad bits? I want to see if I can work it into a project or something.

#21 ·
Re: On Call Plus will soon expire - FOR EVER I might add. Hmmm - Volvo for li ... (partridge)

I'll keep you in mind.

#22 ·

If there is a list created, add me to those who will never buy another Volvo again w/o an OCP equivalent device (not just Bluetooth). IMO, Volvo has seriously dropped the ball here on a significant safety device.

If GM is still in business in a year or so, perhaps they could license their system to Ford/Volvo.

Get with it, Volvo!

#23 ·
Re: On Call Plus will soon expire - FOR EVER I might add. Hmmm - Volvo for li ... (R Salesman)

Please don't take this personally, but....

The US Govt. has decided to ban high grade gasoline and only allow 89 octane to be sold to help contain the rise in gasoline prices. This will go into affect on Sept 1, 2006.

Volvo has carefully considered this Govt. ruling and has decided in the best safety interests of all it's 2004-2006 R owners to recall the cars and at no cost to owner will crush the vehicle and recycle it when the R car is next serviced. Any warranty remaining on the cars will be voided.

Volvo believes this to be in the best interest of its customers.

Now, the above is a joke but I'm trying to make a point.

#24 ·

I heard Volvo was going to just pull 2 of the spark plugs and de-tune the engine. You will still be able to drive your R, but most of the fun will be gone.

#25 ·
Re: On Call Plus will soon expire - FOR EVER I might add. Hmmm - Volvo for li ... (Our R)

Quote, originally posted by Our R »
I heard Volvo was going to just pull 2 of the spark plugs and de-tune the engine. You will still be able to drive your R, but most of the fun will be gone.

I also heard that as additional compensation they were going to offer to permanently disable the 4C system (without causing the warning message in the DIM to come on) for only $400.

#26 ·
Re: (barrysharp)

Thanks Barry for the heads-up, I have not recieved a letter yet, my annual renewal is this month. I will make some phone calls also as to options.

Basically I am $%%$% off as this is one of the reasons I bought this car. I have always carried an ATT, now Cingular phone # in the car, it works great all over California. Anywere I can't get analog service, my Moto pocket digital is dead also.

I don't see why we can't at least get one more year until mid-late 07. This is just budget cutting on Volvo's part for a small install base.

Just in the last three months On-Call has worked very well to save my butt, the last time when the engine failed at 75mph on I-5 in the middle of no where... They geo located me, patched me through to a service advisor and obtained a flat bed tow to the nearest dealer 60 miles away...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.