SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi together,

if a few of you know i have some troubles with my crappy driving T5.

A few weeks ago i merited that i can't switch into the 5. gear when the car is standing.
It is similar if the car is running or not or if i push the clutch.

Is this normal? Any ideas?

Thank you a lot!

Daniel

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
you are fine as long as it goes into 5th gear when driving.
i believe that it is difficult to engage 5th at a standstill.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Questions is...why would you want to?
Good question ;)

I have some trouble with my volvo, especially with a knocking "klong" sound when i change the gear in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. And this clearance is disturbing the gear changes. It looks like i can't drive or have my license for two days...
The driveshaft glued in and it was silence for one week...

This is my primary problem with my car and that sucks..

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Good question ;)

I have some trouble with my volvo, especially with a knocking "klong" sound when i change the gear in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. And this clearance is disturbing the gear changes. It looks like i can't drive or have my license for two days...
The driveshaft glued in and it was silence for one week...

This is my primary problem with my car and that sucks..
Interesting. I can say that I've had that drivetrain sound when shifting gears at low speeds since I've owned my car. I've asked other S40 owners about it and I think it has even been brought up here before. I've just come to realize that it's normal and don't let it concern me. However, I used to know a guy who had his "axle glued", and from what I remember, that only temporarily got rid of the noise for him too. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
You should be able to move the transmission into any gear when stationary with the engine off. Perhaps the shifter cables need adjustment? It's a simple procedure.

Noise when shifting at low speeds is normal. Usually it's coming from the clutch/flywheel assembly, but the trans can be a little clacky too. Axle ping is different, that's a high-pitched "ping" noise when cornering at low speeds. It, too, is normal and generally harmless. It can be fixed by gluing the splines (not recommended) or by fitting a special axle bolt with a rubber collar.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I cant put my car in 5th or 6th when stopped and I cant put it in Reverse when moving. Like we say at work to customers RYFM:). This is normal operation of the lockout.

·
Registered
104 Posts
are you actually trying to go into fifth or are you at the top of reverse? I'm guessing it's the latter since when in motion you are blocked from reverse and go as far right as possible for fifth but when stationary, as far right is reverse.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
It should be possible to run through all the gears from a stop, presuming you're on a flat surface without the brakes applied. If it doesn't work, try rocking the car back and forth a bit. But as tzvier noted, the reverse lockout is open (locks at 25km/h, unlocks at 15km/h) when stopped, which makes it easy to miss 5th and 6th and go into the reverse gate. See page 5 of the m66 info from VIDAS or my avatar submission for the shift pattern :)

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I can't put in 5th from stop, can put in all others including 6th.

I can put in reverse while moving forward.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sorry I was wrong. I can get into all gears easily when not moving. It is just hard to find 5th and 6th with the reverse lockout not engaged.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts