SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many v70 owners are having trouble with the interior door trim bubbling around the handles. We've recently bought a certified 1998 v70 xc and noticed that a small bubbling problem that came with the car is now huge and unsightly. Any recommendations on how to fix or how to get the dealer to respond to an apparently defective adhesive?<BR>Thanks

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Karin,<P>I have heard of this problem before on other Volvo's but not the V70 XC in particular. Since you bought a 'Certified' Volvo, I would ask your dealer to replace it because they are supposed to do a intensive inspection of the car as 'certified'. I think it also depends alot on your dealer as well, if they are willing to help.<P>-Drew

·
Registered
439 Posts
If that doesn't work, call Volvo's 800 number and complain. That's obviously a defect. It being a recently bought Certified Preowned, that is probably under warranty anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you. I should add that I've just brought it up to our dealer's service dept. with the repsonse ranging from "it's cosmetic and probably not covered" to "well, maybe you can talk to your salesman and we'll see". I'd love to know what percentage of cars are experiencing the same problem. The fact that it's happened on all four door panels leads me to believe that there was a bad batch of glue and somewhere somebody is aware of it.<BR>

·
Registered
30 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by karin:<BR><B>I should add that I've just brought it up to our dealer's service dept. with the repsonse ranging from "it's cosmetic and probably not covered" to "well, maybe you can talk to your salesman and we'll see". </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>From what I have read this is a known problem and should have already been fixed. If you have less than 50,000 miles on the car you are still under the original warranty and it certainly should be fixed by your dealer. I have a certified '98 S70 that has had something "just cosmetic" fixed by the dealer, no questions asked, but I am still under 50K. However, as it is certified you should expect better, I would put my foot down on that one, especially since it is a known problem.<P>BTW, I have found several things on my car that are known fixes, Service Bulletins, that were not done prior to my buying the car but have been taken care of afterward. I am not sure why the dealer wouldn't do these ahead of time but it tends to make me wonder how careful these "certified checks" are. However, nothing was major and the car is doing great so I think some of it comes down to the dealer and how they handle problems. Good Luck.<P>Eric

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
This is just my opinion, but I believe cosmetic damage is something like a stain or a surface scratch (assumedly damage inflicted by a passenger). That bubbling doesn't sound like it is passenger inflicted, and the fact that it sounds like it has happened on more than one door just confirms that further. <P>We had a similar situation on our 850. Not door panel, but close enough. We had to argue up and down with the dealer to fix it but they eventually did. You may want to suggest to your dealer that you are going to call Volvo to complain about it. See if that changes their mind.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There are widespread reports of door panel and roof liner glue failing on 1998 and 1999 V70s, and I believe the problem was traced to environmentally friendly adhesive that didn't hold up over the long term. This is an issue well known to Volvo and I don't believe you should be responsible for repair costs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After sitting on the car for almost two weeks, and going through two service advisors (first one was fired, thank goodness!), the dealer has given the car back with some warranteed engine work done but not the bubbling door panels. The word from a Volvo field rep. is NO. Is there any good way to deal with Volvo from here? And.....in the last two weeks the driver's side door stop weld went, also not covered!! Should I have stuck with the old 245?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, this is a Certified car but one that came with 55,000 miles- out of the factory warranty. I have found a service bulletin on the problem dated just 9 months before I bought the car but the dealer and field rep. don't seem to care much. The dealer had another car show up with the same defect a day ago that the Volvo rep. also declined to repair. I will definitely call the Volvo 800 number and let them in on it. The one bright side of all this was that I had a 2001 XC loaner to drive for nearly two weeks. It's one peppy wagon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your best bet is to voice your concerns in a letter. Phone calls, as I have found, will get you nowhere. A smart letter will get results.<P>John<p>[This message has been edited by johnS70T5 (edited 01-21-2002).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had a new v70 t-5 and, living in north texas, the heat caused those door panels to bubble up very quickly - all of them had been replaced and the reputable dealer that i was using at the time, swapped door panels from their loaner cars, i.e., they were defective too; this dealer is since out of business.<P>all of the door panels on that v70 were replaced under warranty; some of them twice -it is very much a known problem - the manager of the dealership had volvo techs and representatives of the manufacturer inspect the door panels - they were defective and the replaced ones (the ones from the loaner cars) were also defective.<P>the car however was well within the warranty period when all of this occurred. sure sounds like a goodwill item to me, particularly with a "certified" car.<P>good luck<BR>dan <BR>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts