SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just drove Illest-R's car around the block :D

I'll put gas in it, bro lol

Anyway, he's got new front suspension. As far as I remember, he got everything. I noticed 2 big things:

It's not any more "comfortable" than my R (71K) per se... However, it's nowhere near as loud over bumps. My R makes a lot of crashing/horrible noise... (but no rattles or clunks) It seems like it's bottoming out constantly.

We both have 18" wheels, we both have stock springs... What could cause the horrible crashing noise? My R is superbly comfortable, whenever there isn't a pothole or other. Could it come down to spring seats? Or are the struts just.. bad? There's only so many things that could fail on the front suspension... Control arm bushings, ball joints, spring seats/mounts and struts. What are the most common things to fail on the R's suspension? Should I just bite the bullet and replace it all?

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
Tires, tire-pressure?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tires, tire-pressure?
My tire pressure is rather high, but anything lower than it is and they are pretty much flat.

I think it's like 40 psi right now.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
My tire pressure is rather high, but anything lower than it is and they are pretty much flat.

I think it's like 40 psi right now.
What Make/Model tire?
A good performance summer tire should be able to behave with more comfort at 34-36 cold PSI without looking flat.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
David running that low aren't you worried that a pothole will bend your rim(s) ?

It doesn't give you much "freeboard" before the hole crushes the tire completely.

As you know ... Peg rims are very soft ... I had mine (18" Pegs) checked at http://wheelcollision.com/ and 3 of 4 rims were bent! (couldn't tell by looking at them).
I've got 17 inch Pegs for summer and 17 inch OZ wheels for winter. I've got 113K miles on the car with those wheels/tires and never bent a rim, and I always run around 35psi cold on the front and 33psi cold on the rear.

I've pretty much always run Bridgestone RE050A Pole Positions in the summer and Blizzaks in the winter... maybe they're just really strong tires.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I just did a refresh on the front suspension in stages and here is what my conclusion is as far as suspension noise culprits.

#1. sway bar end links

#2. Struts (even if no fluid is leaking. I found my driver side was only about 40-50% gone but still made noise with no visible leaks)

#3. Strut bearings. (I did my seats first and noise was still there. Replaced the upper bearings and noise went away)

#4. Outter tie rod ball joints.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Hummm .... I too have 17" Blizzaks on Pegs for winter, but run them at 39 psi.

Have been using Rossos on 18" Pegs (these were the bent rims...I found when having them refinished from curb rash)... but sold the 18" Pegs (garage is full of wheels ... I felt like that wheel whore Kelly)
and now use the Cronos with the Rossos....39 psi.

... guilty pleasure ... I'm now running Pilot SS on 17" Pegs ..... and I LOVE them. 39 psi..

years of riding road bikes taught me the importance of keeping your tires inflated to the max -- far fewer punctures that way.
I've never had a puncture on the R either in 113K miles. :)

Have you ever tried 34-35 psi? You'd probably me amazed how much more comfortable and compliant the ride quality can be. It's like the 4C was made for it. Far less crashing over bumps, etc.

At track days I run about 30 psi cold which ends up being 38-41psi hot. And no, I don't get sidewall roll/wear or uneven wear, it works great in fact.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I know just recently one of the control arm bushings started to tear, but the ball joints are good for sure. I replaced one outer tie rod, and the other is still good. Just checked it last week. I have alot of creeking when I turn the wheel and the car is not moving. Like a rusty hinge.. I'm willing to bet it needs strut tops, and spring seats... I'm considering just replacing everything soon since it's starting to get very annoying. I'll lower my tire pressure a little.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts