SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out just 20 min ago to wash my car. Put the key in the ignition and turned it just like every other day for the past 4 years and this time... NOTHING happened. All the electronics in the car are on and dandy. Pulled out the key and reinserted it and turned, again nothing...
Decided to try to jump the car just incase the battery (for some reason) didn't have enough juice to turn over. To no avail! Still nothing.

Unhooked the jumper cables and low and behold, the car started right up!

Drove it around the block and no CEL, no warnings, no Key Error message this whole time.

Funny thing is, when I bought the car in 2004.5 this same thing happened. I got it toed to the dealership and they had it for a week. Phone cal from the dealership informed me that it was an "Ignition Relay" problem and the part was on indefinite back order and that they would be giving me a brand new 2005 S40! Same as the one I had but with the Winter Package!

Now, 4 years later (out of Warrenty range) Im back at the SAME F***ING problem!

Yea, I can deal with it, but not for ever. It WILL turn on, it just takes any where from 2 -> 20 turns of the key to get it to.

HELP!?!?!?!

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Re: Old Topic... BIG Problem! (s40boy)

That sucks. Good luck! How far out of warranty are you? If you are close you might be able to get it worked on any way, just call volvo customer care and explain the situation. If you can get them on your side dealers are much more likely to help since customer care can push them.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Have you ever had the car scanned for fault codes? Not uncommon to have a faulty SCU.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Re: Old Topic... BIG Problem! (ForceFed Motorsports)

I was about to say the same thing as force fed. I had the problem and got it towed to the dealership, they said there was a problem with the software and they updated it. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Re: Old Topic... BIG Problem! (vsweede40life)

Quote, originally posted by vsweede40life »
I was about to say the same thing as force fed. I had the problem and got it towed to the dealership, they said there was a problem with the software and they updated it. Good Luck

+1

·
Registered
79 Posts
i used to have that problem last year but seemed to fix itself. If I just lock and unlock my car enough times and insert the key again, it eventually starts. It usually takes about 5 minutes but I've never had to tow it or send it to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (savolvoguy)

Since this morning, it seems to have partially fixed itself. It now starts up on turn 1 or turn 2... Ill drop by the Volvo dealership and see if I need an update. Thanks for the info fellas! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I am worrying about this happening to my car. Recently my car has been having issues with the lock and power windows. Sometimes when i look the car with the remote, every door locks accept the driver and vice Versa. The window master control doesnt' work sometimes. For example, the left side of the windows i can control and maybe the right side windows i can't. WTF?! I am afraid the ignition is going to happen as well like you guys. What can I ask the dealer to replace that is under warranty.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Re: (Vash13)

For yours i would look into door harnesses, ive done probably at least a dozen of them by now. If you take the car to the dealer and scan it based off the codes stored we can determine whether its door harness related or not.

The recall that greases your harness connectors which you have probably already done was supposed to prevent failure but a lot didnt fix it.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
what service recall is this any specifici number?
This should be covered by warranty right?
Nothing like the HIDs or Subwoofer connecter to the Battery can effect this right?

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Re: (Vash13)

Yeah should be covered, its a TNN not a recall but if your under warranty should still be covered no problem. It requires removing the front doors and splicing in a new connector with gold plated terminals or something lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts