SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we appear to have a few T8's on the road, do any owners have any comments on the functionality when the T8 is NOT regularly plugged in to recharge?
i.e. how does the T8 perform when it is only occasionally plugged in? Is there enough engine re-charge to the battery for typical "hybrid" driving?
I understand you may not get a full re-charge this way, but for us city dwellers without ready access to a charging port is this a practical vehicle?
I am thinking that the hybrid restart from a stop will be less jarring than the petrol only T6 stop-start which is rather abrupt.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't own a T8, but I do own another plug-in hybrid and generally they just operate as a regular hybrid when they don't get charged. The battery stores the bit of energy you get from braking which allows it to cut down on how much energy it takes to accelerate, and you can sit in traffic with all accessories still running. If you live in a hilly area, you may get slightly better return than a regular hybrid because the battery is larger so you can store more re-generated battery, but unless you live in an area with large mountains, this difference should be minimal.

I'd be interested to hear if the T8 operates any differently.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I remember seeing a window sticker for T8 in US that states 25mpg city road, and even higher on highway. So it consumes less gas than T6. Restart from stop could be slow if battery level is low, but also can be fast if battery level is enough to run the electric motor, depends on your driver condition.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The T8 is engineered to 'burn off' its electric first. So in hybrid mode, over the first 10-25 miles, the car uses very little, if any gas. During this time the electric engine handles all but the driver's lead-footest moments (flooring it). Once that electric battery has been primarily spent, it drives as a hybrid and the the electric motor only accounts for a very small amount of the power.

Essentially, when fully charged, your full 0-60 can be electric in all but the most aggressive driving styles. When the initial charge is spent, the electric motor will only power extremely gradual, excessively laid-back, slow driving before the gas engine takes over.

The electric / gas engine usage gauge is fantastic. if you take a T8 for a test drive, you'll notice that it very effectively shows you when it does / needs to switch over, so you can manage driving electric only with minimal effort.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
(I'm a T8 owner.)

It is a PHEV (plug-in) vehicle and I think you're going to realise the best benefits with being able to charge it from electrical mains. Not sure where you are located - but if in the US ... connected to 120 VAC outlet it is typically like 6 to 7 hours to a full charge. (Of course, +/- based on how much battery you have left.)

I live in New England - and it has been somewhat cold. Vis-a-vis the comment Kraymehr made about burning off electric first: I've found on a number of occasions the vehicle started the fossil fuel engine when it had a full battery and was in hybrid mode. (This is even after preconditioning - which heats various things in the car whilst plugged in, and I assume the Li-ion battery as well.) This behavior is documented (though I was a bit surprised by it).

The battery is fairly large: 9.2 kW. It can be charged by breaking (put the vehicle in B mode versus D) which includes when you take your foot off the accelerator - and can be charged by a generator that is attached to the fossil fuel engine. Looking at the last couple of weeks of trips I am generating nominally somewhere between 10% and 20% of what I consume (electricity wise). Sometimes I'm generating a lot more than that.

This morning my commute (which included one stop on the way where the car sat outside in the cold for a couple of hours) was 10.2 miles / 16.4 km (no highways). I had the vehicle in the Pure mode (where it tries to always use the battery) - traveled for 23 minutes and 100% on electricity. Used 4.7 kWh and regenerated 0.8 kWh. (About half the battery remained at the end of the commute.)

Another trip made last week - which included highway (Interstate) driving - traveled 9.1 miles / 14.6 km and consumed 0.1 US gal of gas plus 3.1 kWh of battery (and regenerated 0.7 kWh). This was in hybrid mode - and the engine ran at initial start-up plus a couple of times on the highway (when speeds were at 67 to 70 mph).

While the vehicle can use the engine to charge the battery - that's probably not that cost effective (as compared to plugging it in). While there is no cost for the electricity generated from coasting / breaking there surely is a cost for using the engine to spin a generator. (What that cost is though - have no idea.)

You can go crazy with this vehicle - as there are multiple modes:

Hybrid - the default mode where whenever possible the vehicle will run on electric and only turn on the engine when needed

Pure - focuses on keeping the engine off and running off the battery

Save - you can save the battery charge for future use

The Save mode is pretty interesting - at higher speeds on highways (especially if you want to go uphill at 70 mph / 100+ km/h) you need the engine (as 80-something hp electric won't make it!). Volvo suggests using the save mode when you are going to do highway driving and then switch to hybrid or pure when you get into city streets / urban driving (where the efficiency of the electric drive really shines). And at higher speeds on the highway is when it would likely be the most efficient to spin the generator to charge the battery.

On the driver's display the right hand (computer generated) gauge shows you (in the various hybrid modes) how much energy the electric motors can deliver and a line at which time the engine will be started. Since the vehicle is fairly new to me I've been conscientiously using all the modes and displays to see how efficient (how little gas) I can use. Bottom line: for short trips (30-45 minutes) and mixed highway/city (or all city) driving I can surely get that eMPG 50+ mph rating ... and when I'm just driving the vehicle (in the default hybrid mode) no problems with 25 mpg or better.

I've been plugging it in whenever possible - maybe later in the week I'll keep it off the mains for a few days and see how the battery plays out. My experience is that when I run the battery down they hybrid nature of the car still works: it goes into electric getting off the highway, driving slowly down streets, around parking lots, etc. -- and there's enough regen that occurs to keep that (limited?!) ability functioning.

Lastly - you can get the T8 manual from the Volvo repository as a PDF - if you have not had a chance to look though it some of the explanations of the hybrid / PHEV capabilities may be of interest.

Hopefully some of the other folks here on Swedespeed from Europe that have had their T8's longer can give some better feedback / impressions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts