SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Old Member, New Car Volvo 855 T-5R from Thailand

3K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  fairladyz_gt-r 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Guys,

I finally got my childhood dream car, a 855 T-5R. I always wanted one ever since I saw it in a brochure back in 1995. Still cannot believe I finally own one.

I used to DD a 1999 V70 GLT during my time in Indiana, however I cannot remember much about what goes wrong or how to fix them anymore. So I will be reading up (and asking) a lot of question in the coming weeks!

See less See more
#6 ·
[emoji1786][emoji1786][emoji1786]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
That's awesome! Congrats!

#9 ·
Thank you everyone for the kind words.

It’s a Late 1995 Automatic T-5R.

According to Volvo850T-R.com this is the 1 of 10 T-5R ever imported here. and its the only 1 yellow Estate with auto. The other 2 Yellow wagon is supposedly manual, but from my research have never came up for sale on the public channel before.

The car’s ODO read 48,xxxKM. The ODO is currently broken. But thanks to Robert DIY on the sticky I have an OBD II reader on order.

Hopefully the actual milage is not too far off. I have reason to believe that it wont be, since the last time this very car was up for sale in 2017 it
only had 45,000km.

#11 ·
The car's ODO read 48,xxxKM. The ODO is currently broken. But thanks to Robert DIY on the sticky I have an OBD II reader on order.
You can use the OBD I box underneath the hood to read the actual mileage if you are interested. Robert has a video on his youtube channel on how to do it. No need for a reader, although you can go that route if you please. Just know it's a little more difficult due to having to communicate directly with the instrument cluster, which can only be done with certain readers and usually involves inputing hex code.

I went through a similar process on my 96' R.

#13 ·
Ah. Then to read the mileage you will need a Bluetooth reader with the ELM-327 chip. It must be a real one as well, otherwise it may not communicate correctly with the COMBI (instrument cluster). You’ll also need an android phone, and a Bluetooth terminal application.

If you google “reading mileage Volvo 850 1996” then you will find all the instructions you’ll need :)

#15 ·
Ah. Then to read the mileage you will need a Bluetooth reader with the ELM-327 chip. It must be a real one as well, otherwise it may not communicate correctly with the COMBI (instrument cluster). You'll also need an android phone, and a Bluetooth terminal application.

If you google "reading mileage Volvo 850 1996" then you will find all the instructions you'll need
Okay, thank you for the ELM-327. Had to go back and check if I got the right stuff. Lucky, I did, lets hope its the real chip

#14 ·
Very cool! Welcome back. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

#16 ·
Okay, Finally manage to get the mileage read after a false start.

I originally got a cheapo bluetooth OBDII reader off aliexpress, advertised as a real ELM-327 chip.

Turns out it was fake. CYB3RBYTE's recommendation came straight back to me.

So as not to get scam again, I decided to order from Veepeak and have them ship it to me from the states.

Very happy that the car only done 64,688km.

#17 ·
That's still very low mileage.... (or kilometerage)

#21 ·
That's still very low mileage.... (or kilometerage)

That's actually not that uncommon in the Asian market

#24 ·
Thank you all for the kind feedback.

Most of Asian cities (Bangkok included) are very congested indeed. Unfortunately we (Bangkok) do not (well we are currently building) have a good public transportation system. We are more like LA where everything is squish into a 80km X 40km area and link buy 10 lane highway that are constantly overflowing with car :angryfire:. It gets boring really fast lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.