SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I own 2005 sR

2 days ago in New York the temperature got below freezing. My car may have had more water in it instead of 50/50 like it should of. The next morning I start the car and let it run for about 7-10 min before I drive. I get to work and get a low coolant message. I fill it with more water and keep it going. Little while later it comes on again. So I know now I keep losing coolant. The reservoir tank is wet because there is a lot of pressure in the system and I feel like it's pushing it though there. So today I bought a new cap and flushed cooling system.

Now it's still losing coolant and my car is misfiring on cylinder 2.
-The coolant reservoir tank doesnt have oil in it
-the oil dipstick has oil on it and it isnt milky
***the oil cap looked milky though
-no sweet smell from exhaust, BUT smells strong like a lawn mower or something
-and keep getting cyl 2 misfire even after I clear it.

Is it possible I blown the headgasket on that cylinder?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I have heat and car isn't overheating

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Head gasket pushing compression only into the water passage (or a cracked head or sleeve doing same) you have something pushing into the water passage - but no compression to oil or oil to water (or vise versa) Sorry...

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Could the fluid have possibly froze in the engine and caused the hairline crack?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
These topics pop up more often than ISIS news these days...
Remove plugs and take a picture

·
Registered
1,891 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
time for a new block!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ugh fml!! I can never win with this car

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Before you buy a block, either pull the head and have it examined, pull the plugs and have it boroscoped (although this doesn't always catch the cracks) or buy a cheap kit from Amazon . If it's cracked, you can replace the block or install sleeves. But, one step at a time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You guys are so smart over the internet, saying he needs a new block... Did you check for leaks? Does the misfire occur at startup? Did you check for combustion gases in coolant?

·
Registered
390 Posts
You guys are so smart over the internet, saying he needs a new block... Did you check for leaks? Does the misfire occur at startup? Did you check for combustion gases in coolant?
What he said. It doesn't sound good but let's not jump to conclusions just yet.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Make sure the car isn't leaking coolant anywhere else first, if not then chances are good the extreme temp swing might have finally opened up a crack in a cylinder.

Unless your coolant was almost all water, its unlikely it froze in the block.

Cold temps will also sometimes be the stress it takes to toast a coil, so as stated above don't jump to any conclusions yet.

If it gets to the point of inspecting your cylinders, just look on ebay and amazon for 'borescope camera' for something like the following.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-2M-Androi...hash=item5d5c4fab68:m:mp6u701th_plARFSOsP9btg

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay PDW I'll give the burping a try.

And this morning misfiring at startup confirmed

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Other than a R block, is there any direct swap blocks? If so from what year and model?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
So i guess this means internet diagnostics were correct once again?

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
04-07 XC70, 04-06 XC90, 04-09 S60 2.5t. All identical aside from Pistons and head. They're all B5254T.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If I remember right the 2.5l low pressure block is a direct swap. Some go with a 2.4 block with our head on it and a tune. More available. I would shim any block going into the car.

Can you take pics when you get the head off? Want to see more crack pics due to my engineers mind.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I remember right the 2.5l low pressure block is a direct swap. Some go with a 2.4 block with our head on it and a tune. More available. I would shim any block going into the car.

Can you take pics when you get the head off? Want to see more crack pics due to my engineers mind.
Yeah I'll post it up

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Crap I didn't mean what block is identical. I meant to ask which head is a direct interchangeable match sorry! So does anybody know the answer to this?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Crap I didn't mean what block is identical. I meant to ask which head is a direct interchangeable match sorry! So does anybody know the answer to this?
The R spark plugs have a more thread length than the T5 motors so you'll have to swap those. The cooling passages in the R head are also different - purportedly for better cooling.

Are the cams and cam gears the same for all of the P2 5-cylinder motors? Are all of them dual VVT?

OP, is your head warped beyond spec tolerances? Why can't you reuse it?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts