SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2006 T5, smelled coolant when I test drove it with no obvious culprit so I assumed the water pump. Ran it in the garage tonight for half an hour, not a drop coming out of the weep hole on the pump (timing belt covers off). Timing belt has less than 70K on it, so nothing pressing there.

I then noticed a wisp of steam coming from the radiator area.... which I'd be much happier to replace than the water pump/timing belt (even if the new one doesn't have "PremAir")....

Q: Is the intercooler air-to-air or air-to-water? Because that would be another possibility.

Unfortunately the car sat outside last night and we got a dusting of slush, so the entire underside of the car is dripping right now as it melts so I can really study for coolant drops. That'll come tomorrow I guess.

TIA

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Intercooler is air to air. Possible your radiator is leaking. Not uncommon. Me personally, I would rather do 10 timing belts than 1 radiator. Its just a messy job.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Your radiator must have a larger leak than mine. Mine has an incredibly minute leak, and has been that way for four years. I should probably replace it one day :D

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Intercooler is air to air. Possible your radiator is leaking. Not uncommon. Me personally, I would rather do 10 timing belts than 1 radiator. Its just a messy job.
I'd do 10 radiators, hahaha..... when I did the timing belt on my V70 last year, one of the water pump screws twisted off flush with the block. No way to get it out short of pulling the engine. I tried chuck-in-body Makita drills, small right angle drills, but nothing would fit in between the block and the inner fender. I guess I could have cut a hole and then patched it....

In the end, I used the old pump as a reference and laser-cut a piece of 3/8" stainless that straddled the missing screw, and tapped a hole over it. Installed a jack screw and a locking nut and basically forced the flange in that area on the gasket. It worked. Too bad my son later blew the motor when a hose clamp failed and mom encouraged him to try to make the next exit......that was the end of the Gus Fring V70.

And a gratuitous photo of my Gus Fring (Breaking Bad) V70:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Radiator in these cars aren't that bad I had my R done in an evening work and did a friend's t5 last week in about 2 hours. It's a fairly simple job.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Yeah, Volvo should've put a flip-open hatch door on their fenders for water pump access lol. I'm with you, I'd rather do a radiator job vs a water pump, although neither one is very much fun. I equate water pumps to the pcv job ... zero work space, tiny tools, lots of patience. At least with a radiator you have more room to work with as long as you remove the front bumper. With the 2.5T in the S80 there's also a lot more room in the nose of the engine bay between the fan and the front of the motor.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheer up, everyone - it could be the head gasket hahahaha
:)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And... it's not the head gasket - I don't think lol. I stuck a shop rag under the fitting where the upper radiator hose goes to the engine and let it run, and it came out wet. So that's a relief. Have to assume this is the thermostat housing. However, I see it's attached with a couple of Torx screws to another housing that's attached with a couple of Torx screws. At what exactly am I looking here? The first fitting has a smaller hose attached to it that goes under the intake manifold, and I think I'm going to have to remove the power steering pump to get at the rest.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And it was the gasket between the two halves of the housing. I thought I had this one licked 3 weeks ago when I replaced the gasket between the housing and the cylinder head. After it snowed and I had the garage door open (for a change, the car has been in there unregistered for a month), when I walked it I noticed a puddle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts