SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say I start of first gear and wait till the rpm goes a bit then step on it and then switch to second gear around 5k - 5.5k my steering wheel shakes and it sounds like a loud thud right at shift point and then everything is fine.

THIS IS VERY STUPID but is that normal. I come from an RWD car only and never had driven anything that fwd or awd,

Or is it just me because i find it really hard to switch from first to second gear in this car. The changes are always kind of rough....

Pls dont make lots and lots fun of me for asking this simply dumb question lololol:D

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Without experiencing it it is hard to tell. It sounds like either your motor mount or control arm rear bushing(s). The motor mount is a harder thunk or thud depending on how bad it is. If you hit a bump hard with the right front wheel and you experience the same thunk/thud then it's probably the motor mount. The control arm rear bushing can be inspected visually. Theyre not too bad to replace with a jack, jack stands and a basic tool set.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No thuds when i hit bums or anything like that car is very quiet. This doesn't happen any other time but when switching from first to second when accelerating really hard. I think its just my front tires wanting to brake loose and then the awd kicks in. Its not bad at all just scares me at times.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
You also have an 05' T5, the LEFT motor mount was improved very shortly after this . You'll need to check your VIN (or car). S40 up to -190213

DESCRIPTION:
S40 & V50 customers may complain of a clunking noise during shifting or when applying and releasing the accelerator pedal. It is especially noticeable on cars with manual transmissions during low speed driving and when making a 1-2 shift. The customer may also complain of a slight vibration through the floor or seat at low engine RPMs (approx 1800-2000).

The new mount is a circular hydraulic unit. The older is a more rectangular plain rubber.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do get the clunking noise sometimes at low speed. No vibrations. I can see the top motor mount and its in a very good shape not sagging or anything.

Is this covered by a warranty or anything like that??

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
No warranty at this point. To be clear, this is the LEFT mount (by transmission) not the right upper which breaks on everyone's car.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see well I guess I will have to change these mounts eventually but now its not that much of a bother.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Thanks for the info on the trans mount, I'll keep an extra close eye out also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts