SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What will be my best choice. I don't mind spending less money too for some creative ideas. I looked at viva, looked at bar but haven't inquired about the price. Looked at heico didn't inquired about the price. Basically I need suggestions and reasoning. I want quality sound but loud. I want deep tone too. I really don't know what route to go.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I would inquire at some custom exhaust shops, and have one custom, this can be a cheaper route to go than buying premade ones.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would inquire at some custom exhaust shops, and have one custom, this can be a cheaper route to go than buying premade ones.
I was thinking about that. Any tips as to what questions I should ask the exhaust shop to filter the good from the bad? Also what kind of parts would I need? I am guessing the exhaust shop will know what parts but doesn't hurt to know in advance.

·
Registered
290 Posts
my friend, BSR is my choice, i have them for more than a year now and the sound is amazinly deep. it vibrates my front porch when the car is idle inside the garage.
it is not loud but mild deep sound. i eliminated my resonator and everythin else is stock and BSR cat back. Depends on how loud you want it, but i am contented with the set up what i have today.

there is a video posted in tube. not mine tho. danishvolvo, open the video with a sound card and sub, it is exactly the same sound installed in mine.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
I would have checked eBay 2 days ago and bought the Elevate exhaust on their outlet page for $490 ;)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
that BSR sounds sweet. th etone is very nice, is there nay drone when cruising at hwy speed?

I am listening with my AKG headphones, can't get much better for sound :)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Is a downpipe a consideration? I can tell you my exhaust (where I removed the rear muffler and added a small side exhaust) has increased the tone a ton, and much much louder. If one wanted to go even louder they still remove the resonator.

I would seriously look at DP's, it has its performance gains (faster spool), lowers egt's and sets you up for a tune in the future.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
If you do custom, make sure they can do mandrel bent rather than a crush bend, you will get better flow with mandrel bent as the radius won't be collasped. T 304 stainless is fine, and will easily last your length of ownership, although there are other options here, for more money. 3"all the way back would be my preference especially if your going to do further mods. Check out the quality of their work, ask around locally for a recommendation.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Chris, who did u have make yours down south and how much was the final bill?

If I do custom I still plan to do center exit.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

If I do custom I still plan to do center exit.
Like a Jeep SRT8 and certain Porsches? Or what about a Lambo quad pipe?

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Sort of. I have the dynamic rear trim so will have twin pipes exit over the lower valance out the bumper. I'm not into tips I just want raw stainless with a angle cut to match the curve of the bumper. Probably twin 2.5" I would guess.

Would tuck the muffler under the car like polestar or try and cram it up under the left side of the rear axle/bumper area.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts

Ballard exhaust specialties, they are no longer in business. They did the 242, cost 650.00( headers back) The V50 has an Elevate exhaust & DP that they tweaked, welded on quad tips and different hangers(not much room with AWD and 3"exhaust and it was banging) cost 200.00. It also helps to pay cash at a lot of places, get a price and then offer a lesser amount cash out the door.

·
Registered
153 Posts
get a obx from ebay
He has an AWD obx doesn't make an exhaust for awd

I would go with a downpipe and then do a custom job from the dp back, that is my plan once the funds are available!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish I could find videos of the different exhaust but not just at a stand still. I want to hear what the car sounds like moving too. I do like the bsr tone. Wouldn't the downpipe cost more in labor to put on. I don't have the environment to do the work myself. I am also considering labor cost in the equation.

Question about the DP too. Does it remove the cat? I am not too familiar with that. If it does do you need spacers for the sensor and can the car pass emissions?

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Differences in an AWD exhaust vs FWD?

I know the downpipe requires to wrap around the the angle gear, however should mate up to the same location on all models. The exhaust even for a FWD hangs to the side of the tunnel and not the center where the driveline would be if AWD.

I say get OBX, test fit and if slight mods are required at an exhaust shop you are still ahead.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
the downpipe is different between AWD and FWD, thats about it. i say go custom all the way man!

·
Registered
153 Posts
the downpipe is different between AWD and FWD, thats about it. i say go custom all the way man!
Interesting, I wonder why elevate and eurosport both list different exhaust systems for awd and fwd??

1 - 20 of 57 Posts