SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
06 s60 2.5t
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 06 s60 2.5t. I bought it back in October of 2019 and have done pretty thorough restorative maintenance since. I'm to the point where the vehicle runs just about like new, and I'm happy... for now. I want to start increasing performance. surprising.. i know
I pulled a 16t (w/ matching OTE pipe), blue injectors & japanifold from a donor T5. I've got a genuine mitsubishi rebuild kit for the turbo and will absolutely make sure it's a sound unit before putting it in my car. I've also cleaned the injectors. Here's where I'm looking for some input.
I've been reading about dodge/chrysler 4bar FPR's and found a part online I'm thinking of buying, but with the injectors, turbo+manifold, 4bar FPR, slightly better intake & exhaust would it be necessary to buy a tune? For now, I plan on keeping the stock MAF to avoid having to remap.
I feel like I could get away with these moderate mods without upsetting the ECU too much, or maybe I'm wrong.
Where my head is at: Slightly bigger turbo w/ better intake, higher flowing exhaust manifold and straight piped = more air. Blue injectors with higher psi FPR = more fuel... A/F could potentially stay where the ECU wants it no?

Disclaimer: 1st post and honestly 1st car I've begun to modify for performance. Every other car I've put work into was simply just to keep my a** on the road. Definitely not afraid to take on "daunting" tasks though

·
Registered
06 s60 2.5t
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FPR is the fuel pressure regulator, but I've since learned that this engine does not have one.. just a fuel pressure sensor. But yea, I'm almost certain if I want to see any real advantages I'll have to get a tune. That said, I'm hoping to pull a MAF from an 04 XC90 (same unit the R models use) and put in when I upgrade the intake.
I'll certainly need some tuning to run that

Thank for the reply though 😁(y)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
FPR is the fuel pressure regulator, but I've since learned that this engine does not have one.. just a fuel pressure sensor. But yea, I'm almost certain if I want to see any real advantages I'll have to get a tune. That said, I'm hoping to pull a MAF from an 04 XC90 (same unit the R models use) and put in when I upgrade the intake.
I'll certainly need some tuning to run that

Thank for the reply though 😁(y)
You wouldn’t need a FPR until you started running big boost and needed to do a return fueling system as you would need the pressure at the rail to stay high as the pump cannot ramp up in time. Leaving you short on fuel. You will definitely want to get tuned as the ECU controls the TCV which controls the gate and ultimately your boost pressure. Manual boost controllers are a no go as well do to the aforementioned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts