SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

OK, got the car, now the FUN begins:) Lot's of ?'s

823 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ScottD 
#1 ·
So I pick up the replacement for my last wrecked car (you guys were helpfull on the last question, thanks) It's a 95 850 T5-R & I got it extreamly cheap. SO I expected a few problems that I would have to fix. I have a line on the AC contoller (thanks Prospero) and now I find that the interior fogs up really badly and the low coolent light comes on. I am thinking that this is a bad heater core...any confirmations? Also the radio is locked, anyone know how I can get around this?
The car is in decent shape but I suspect that I will need to replace the struts. Does 95000 seem fair that the factory stuff needs to be replaced. Also, the car of course didn't come w/ an owners manual - would anyone know what the little red light next to the trip computer functions comming on means? And 1 more thing how serious is the SERVICE light comming on and staying on for approx. 10 minutes after I start the car.

More ?'s to follow, Thanks Guys and Gals

Scott

#2 ·
The radio has a 4 digit code. It may be listed in the owners manual or in the radio instructions if you car came with them. If not, your dealer should be able to help you.
The red light, if it's an led to the far right on the display panel, is kind of a 'cold weather' alert. It comes on when the temp sensor reads a temp close to freezing close to the road.
As for the windows fogging up, on an 83 VW Jetta I had, this happened to me. Turns out it was the heater core, and it was a major PITA to replace. DO NOT let the car overheat!!!
Hope this helps you out some. If you search online, you should be able to track down a used owners manual somewhere. Try some of the links at the Brickboard.com
-Todd

#3 ·
ScottD, I think that 95,000 on stock struts is pretty good, I would replace them, if not just move the car up and down in all four corners and see if the car keeps bouncing after you stopped and check to see if the struts are leaking.

The little red light means that icy road conditions may exist and I believe it comes in when ambient goes below 38 or 36 degrees F.

About the service light, I can't remember if it's set by time, miles or months. It's just telling you it's time for an oil change, if not just buy a tool reset kit from IPD and that will solve your problem, the cost is about $170.00 if not take it to the dealer and they can read all the codes.
Hope this helps.

#5 ·
quote:

Originally posted by ScottD:
I am thinking that this is a bad heater core...any confirmations?
This seems to be the most likely solution to the problem.

quote:

Also the radio is locked, anyone know how I can get around this?
Usually, this code is written in the owners manual, or it is on a card that comes with the owners manual. Since you don't have this, the dealer that sold the 'new' car, should have owner info on their computer. If you don't the original dealer, then you can pull out the stereo and give any dealer the serial number for the stereo and they will be able to get it, no prob.

quote:

Does 95000 seem fair that the factory stuff needs to be replaced.
I think that has a lot to do with how you feel the car handles and rides. The struts might be in good shape, but they also might need to be replaced.

quote:

Also, the car of course didn't come w/ an owners manual.
You should be able to get a new owners manual fairly cheap, places like Ebay, VolvoWorld, and a Volvo dealer itself.

quote:

Would anyone know what the little red light next to the trip computer functions comming on means?
Yup, that little red light is for icy conditions, when the temp gets below 32F.

quote:

And 1 more thing how serious is the SERVICE light comming on and staying on for approx. 10 minutes after I start the car.
You might take it to the dealer and ask to have codes read so that you will know all the things that could be 'wrong' with the car. Like someone said above, you can reset the light with the IPD tool.

-Drew

#6 ·
As for the $170 reset tool from ipd... its a waiste of money... There is a little box near the left hedlight in the engine bay that you can open and I'll have to get back to you on the sequence, but by connecting the jumper and hitting one button in the right sequence it will reset it... free! My local shop guy is really nice and usually does it for me, but I'll get the sequence from him next time I see him, but don't worry, its the check engine light right next to it that you have to worry about...

enuf for now,
Austin

#7 ·
Just got back from my local Volvo Dealer. 95.00 an hour (my Audi Dealer - Same owner, Laurel Audi and Volvo - is only 80.00 an hour :0 wow! )Estimates 279.00 for the core and 3.2 hours for labor. Anything else I should have them look at for problems while they apparently have the WHOLE dash unit out?

I also have to buy the remote keyless entry from the dealer @ 95.00

Oh, and a huge thanks to you folks, you're great!

Is there anywhere I can get a Core and Remote for less?

[This message has been edited by ScottD (edited 12-31-2001).]

#8 ·
Scott,
If you can hold off for a little while, I may be able to help. I have a remote for my 850 and will not be needing it after a while. I still need some time to complete my disposition of the car though. See I have a close friend that had offered to repair the car for very cheap. At very least I'll have to spend a few hundred in frame pulling and reinforcing. Beyond that I'll simply have some labor to put in on my own. He'll be inspecting the car this week and will give me his opinion. If he decides that the frame is too far gone, then I'll part out the car. If not...then the car will be a $2000.00 hot-rod for me to play with. ($1K for buy back and the other $1K for rapair supplies.) Yeah...it may never be perfect, but it will be pretty much free. I'll let you know one way or another. For now though...I am thinking about keeping the car on the road. I have an option to be 100% debt free if I don't buy another car, could you blame me?

Cheers!

Prospero (the bitter one.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.