SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can we do this? I was car-shopping for/with a friend over the weekend and we went to a Caddy dealership which was right next to a Volvo dealership. It is obvious to me, now, that we NEED these projectors on our R's.

There *must* be a way. Lighting gurus, to the batcave for research !!!!

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Re: Ok folks, we have to fit the new S60 projectors to the R somehow... (JoeLvo)

They can fit - but they throw codes on the cluster. They also are not 'active.'

I'm still working on my retrofit...

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Ok folks, we have to fit the new S60 projectors to the R somehow... (AthruC)

I would be fine with non-Active, so long as we got the output that the projector offers, and figure out a way to not light off the dashboard.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Re: Ok folks, we have to fit the new S60 projectors to the R somehow... (JoeLvo)

Quote, originally posted by JoeLvo »
I would be fine with non-Active, so long as we got the output that the projector offers, and figure out a way to not light off the dashboard.

I'd be fine with non active as well. Whats the status on the retrofit?

Those new headlights are so damn hot!

·
Registered
16,996 Posts
Re: Ok folks, we have to fit the new S60 projectors to the R somehow... (AthruC)

Quote, originally posted by AthruC »

I would think if you went with HID and had the right load resitors you shouldnt throw any codes at all.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts

What is the reason for the codes? different bulb types (HID vs halogen) so wattage/ballast amperage is different which yields bulb out? Or is it something to do with the 4C/self leveling?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Re: (o2k)

The problem is that the "R" headlamps (and pre 2005 HID's) have a built-in microprocessor that communicates back to the ECM via PWM. I am thinking that MAYBE if I disconnect the 'high beam' wire that the lack of a trigger will not throw a code (waiting for a nicer day to find out, that'd be orgasmic if it works), but any other headlamp is just a 'plain Jane' setup with no fancy communication I believe. Long story short, the "high beam" in this car shifts the entire headlamp reflector up and out, and there's a system of 'checks' that not only sense how far the motor to actuate all of this has moved, but how far the reflector itself has moved. I had a post on it, but Snapfish = fail. Scroll to the bottom to see pics (I'll go and try to re-activate them, or take new shots if you REALLY want):

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=95554

Basically, this image (from the above post), from left to right, is of the internal circuitry/motor, gearing to move the reflector, and the case (with the 'check' in front of it to see how much the reflector moved:

This is a post of some progress I had made (I have made further progress since):

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=109093

...this is an image of what is behind the reflector. The case (from the image above) is the larger box on the left, and the whole black 'frame' shifts forward, with the bulb in the middle:

This post has been brought to you by the letter "R" and the number 2.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Re: (AthruC)

The problem is that the "R" headlamps (and pre 2005 HID's) have a built-in microprocessor that communicates back to the ECM via PWM.

And also the fact that thew newer ABL Projector headlamps has an additional module (HCM) built in that communicates with the ECM. Without taking this module out of the equation, "Headlight Service Required" will show on the DIM.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Re: (JoeLvo)

Quote, originally posted by JoeLvo »
Can the motors be enclosed and stashed under the hood somewhere, still wired to the high beam signal?

Working on it. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
16,996 Posts
Jebus why did volvo have to use such a stupid design and not be like everyone else and just use a metal sheild ?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Re: (Chilled Man)

J, I've been trying to figure that out myself. The amount of additional time and money spent to make that whole fakakta design work just astounds me.

I'm considering two methods to 'trick' the whole system - one involves taking the actual sensor apart and incorporating it within that little black box, the other is to affix it to the 'adapter' plate I'm making and setting up a pivot mechanism.

What is sucking is that the motions are the same on both the sensor and the actuator, so I can't just glue them together...

I have the design of the plate sketched out on a piece of aluminum that I need to cut out - at that point, it should be a matter of refining some of the dimensions, throwing on some nuts/bolts, and it should fit as a 'direct replacement' to the DRL housing that holds everything. Stock auto-leveling and adjustments will be retained http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Re: (juve021)

Here it is:

There are 3 wires attached to the ceramic 'board' with two sliding "fingers" that are bridged (on the right side, attached to the 'nipple'). It appears to not be a simple toggle - it measures the distance traveled...

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
dang...nice shot!

seems like it could be simple enough to "trick" the system. 3 wires? Makes sense that it is a linear pot then. Think of it like a slider on a volume control or eq.

I'm wondering, does that circuit board/motor controller communicate via CAN or is it just pwm into the CEM or whatever? If its just simple PWM, a simple microcontroller could probably send the correct signals. Problem is, you'd have to figure out what those signals were.

EDIT: actually, if you just measured (with a scope?) at level ground the output of the controller board, maybe you could program a PIC to PWM that signal and only that signal to the CEM? Also, you could measure hte corresponding resistance? value of the check sensor and set that resistance constant to the CEM?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Re: (juve021)

Quote, originally posted by juve021 »
Problem is, you'd have to figure out what those signals were

Uh, notsomuch...

I'll stick w/ the caveman method, unless we have any volunteers.

The problem is that, not only do you have this mechanical 'check' system in place, but that the high beam signal runs into this thing, which triggers that system (which I will try disconnecting...), as well as the 'low beam' and ground, plus the feed back to the ECM.

This little guy (well, the larger box w/ the motor and board) sends signals back to the ECM telling it if anything is wrong - bulb out, high beam not 'actuating,' etc. It doesn't look like simple pwm setup, I think there's more to it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.