SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice the pipe is quite black and even my wife is complaining of the excessive gas consumption. There are no fault indicators. I have changed plugs within the last year and the air cleaner was clean.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get it to run leaner?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I was experiencing sub par gas mileage. About 19mpg for highway. I recently did a transmission flush, engine filter, haldex filter and fuel filter replacement and noticed was able to get 23.5 mpg driving 360 miles from MD to NC. I plan to replace my spark plugs and learn my way through the engine.

This is my first time doing any type of work to my car so please take what I am saying as such. My point is that their is a multitude of ways to make the engine run more efficient. Getting old carbon and dirt out of the equation is a good start

2010 xc90 3.2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just checked the display and 11.7 liters average per 100kms apparently is 20.1 US MPG. When I rub my finger in the pipe it comes out sooty so definitely there is room for improvement. I am wondering if O2 sensors or MAF sensors could be off a bit.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,365 Posts
The "soot" could simply be from all the cold starts and extra fuel needed in the winter season. It could also be from oil blow-by, but that's if you are consuming oil. The 20.1 US MPG sounds normal, depending on your driving style and city/highway mix. Of course, normal maintenance could help.

I am getting around 20-22mpg now using regular gas and 0W-40 oil because the temps are warm enough for fluids/grease to be less viscous and I am not using either heat or A/C. I have 255/18 wide tires which weigh more than the 235s and affect mpg. The winter winds also affect mpg since the XC90 is big and has high ground clearance where wind can cause aerodynamic drag (or where you need to use more gas to keep the XC90 straight with crosswinds). Once it gets hotter, I will likely see fuel efficiency drop 1 mpg due to using the A/C.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I drive >85% stop and go for my commute and get 13.4 L/100km on regular gas.
I also live in a very hilly area.
There's a 5 min stretch of highway driving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts