SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was poking (and ripping) at the innards of my trunk to see where a computer could fit (most likely over the left wheel-well, fyi) when I noticed vent-like structures on both sides of the car, visible by opening the panels with the seatback latches on them. Below these "vents" was some oily stuff that didn't seem to have a smell. I was thinking they were some kind of fuel tank vents, but I'd rather know exactly what they are, as it didn't seem like the stuff leaking from them had anywhere to go. <P>Thanks<P>

·
Registered
528 Posts
My guess, and this is ONLY a guess, is that what you've found is a waxy protectant that you'll find everywhere if you dig deep enough. It's in the doors, behind the insulation, under the dash, in the trunk, etc. At least that's how it is on the V70. If it's black and waxy and not really running anywhere, that's probably what it is. If it bugs you, just wipe it off, otherwise, just pretend you never saw it and it'll just sit there and keep protecting.<P>- Darell<P>

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By oily, I meant brown and runny, <B>not</B> waxy in any way. I'm not even really sure it can be classified as "oil", but that's just what it most closely resembles.<P>The vents (white plastic rectangular structures, with around 4 horizontal rows of flaps, like those in attic vents) are against the metal, mounted on a verticle metal panel that seems to be just inside the outer skin of the car, right by the gas tank cover on the right, and by the fuse panel on the left.<P>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts