SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 xc70- 100k miles. I have always used M-1...either 10-30 in the summer and 5-30 in winter. I have a case of 5-30..which is readily available. Should I be considering other weights (0-30)? or...if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
PLUS...Whats the deal with the 'other' Mobil 1 options- 'high milage', etc. Is there any advantage to using an oil for older engines (although we all know that 100K is not 'old').
Costco has their brand at quite a discount...anyone tired it? I really don't want to change companies in mid stream, unless you provide me with info to the contrary. Thanks, A.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If your vehicle starts fine in the winter, keep using whatever oil you have been using.

If it starts hard, go to a lighter oil.

In my opinion, for a 100K+ Mile engine it doesn't make a dip of a difference in brands.

I even switched to organic oil rather than synthetic in mine because it really doesn't make any difference with modern oils. (IMHO IMHO IMHO)

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
I've run M1 10w30 on the five cylinder turbo's for 25 years year round in a northern climate and have never had an issue with starting. I've just never seen a reason to change - not for the few dollars that Kirkland would save you. If you're looking to economize, try out the M1 12 qt boxes for $50.

I think you said it right "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Reactions: jschaefer7406

·
Registered
705 Posts
It is difficult to be definitive w/o knowing where you live.

In most of the continental US, 10w-30 is the best winter oil; generally a stronger film strength at temperature, fewer modifiers that don't lubricate, plenty of flow for the usual temps. Going to 5w- or 0w- nets you no benefit and just a weaker oil formula (thinner base stock, more additives).

If you have the 5w then go with it and just know there are trade-offs the next time you buy oil. The HM is a bit more robust, no reason to not be using it. Mobil 1 10w-30 HM is my go-to oil for almost every engine in quite a few vechiles.

Reactions: jschaefer7406

·
Registered
17,706 Posts
0w40.

Updated spec from volvo starting in 06.

I run Castrol, Mobil one also makes it and we use that in other fleet cars without issues.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I second the 0W40. I use it year round. This question is going to net you 1000 different responses.

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M
2,571 Posts
I use Castrol 5W40 up here.
It's great in the cold (gets down to -35C on winter trips up north), and is great in the heat (summer usually tops 35C, peaks 40C quite often). Used it on all whiteblock Volvos I've owned or maintained, and from what I've seen, the cars are more than happy with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts