SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was released from Volvo to us the other day and if you do your own oil changes outside of the three free services. They also changed their recommendations on transmission fluid replacement/flushes........ please note:

All model year 2019 and 2020* vehicles are delivered from the factory with Castrol EDGE Pro V 0w-20

Synthetic oil. Castrol EDGE Pro V 0W20 is specifcally co-engineered for the Volvo VEP4 2.0L engine

to maximize fuel effciency and engine performance.

Also note:

The vehicle’s Owner’s Manual** currently reflects the global recommendation for oil viscosity. The

U.S. market will follow the extreme driving conditions recommendation.

EXTREME CONDITIONS FOR US MARKET:

- Transmission FLuid = Volvo recommends changing transmission fluid every 50,000 miles/80,000 kilometers, only on vehicles used for towing,
or when a message appears in the instrument panel text window.
- CABIN FILTERS = Recommended to replace at least once a year or more often in heavy traffic or dirty/dusty areas. (this means 10k miles or one year as opposed to VOLVO WARRANTY services doing it at 20k miles)
- BRAKE FLUID = Recommended to replace every 3 years or 40,000 miles (if driven in mountainous areas or humid climates – every one year) at owner’s request.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
extreme driving condition? So it needs to be sooner than every 10k miles or one year?

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
6,923 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Filters, has to be changed with oil anyways.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
Sorry for not being more specific...

This pertains to cabin filter, engine air filter, and brake fluid.

I updated the OP to reflect that.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Thank you Gunshow for the information. A lot of folks have discussed if and when the trans fluid, and brake fluid required changing.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Right, but I'm asking if Volvo recommends a transmission "flush" (100% fluid change) or a single fluid change (approx 1/3 fluid change) every 50k.
It is flush if you ask dealers. They don't do single drain and fill.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right, but I'm asking if Volvo recommends a transmission "flush" (100% fluid change) or a single fluid change (approx 1/3 fluid change) every 50k.
If you tow OR a message tells you to change the fluid on the message center, you should have it flushed.

Drain and fill is useless other than to drains your pockets. We do not do drain and fills because it is really a waste of time and money to replace 1/3 - 1/4 of your trans fluid.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
So no change for 2016-2018, still 5w30? Maybe 2019+ has the extra exhaust filter and want some more efficiency by using 0w20?

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Thank you for sharing the information, @gunshow.

I'm close to turning up 40k miles on my V90CC. Would anybody here have any idea how much should a transmission oil flush and a brake fluid flush cost at your local Volvo dealership for the newer SPA Volvos? I'm just trying to gauge the typical market costs of these services so I know if & when I'm being price-gouged if I ask the dealership to perform these flushes. Thank you!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for sharing the information, @gunshow.

I'm close to turning up 40k miles on my V90CC. Would anybody here have any idea how much should a transmission oil flush and a brake fluid flush cost at your local Volvo dealership for the newer SPA Volvos? I'm just trying to gauge the typical market costs of these services so I know if & when I'm being price-gouged if I ask the dealership to perform these flushes. Thank you!
Dont quote me as I am going off the top of my head but I think this is ball park prices.

$400 ish for 16 quarts of trans fluid and 1-1.5 hours of labor.

$150 ish for brake fluid and 1 hour of labor

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Dont quote me as I am going off the top of my head but I think this is ball park prices.

$400 ish for 16 quarts of trans fluid and 1-1.5 hours of labor.

$150 ish for brake fluid and 1 hour of labor
Thank you. I'll keep those numbers in my head when I have my Dealer do my Transmission and Brake fluid flushes (as a preventive maintenance thing) during either my 40k or 50k mile service. :beer:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
So no change for 2016-2018, still 5w30? Maybe 2019+ has the extra exhaust filter and want some more efficiency by using 0w20?
In the EU, 0W20 has been the only viscosity in the owners manual since the XC90 came on the market:
Castrol Edge Professional V 0W-20 of VCC RBS0-2AE 0W-20.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This was released from Volvo to us the other day and if you do your own oil changes outside of the three free services. They also changed their recommendations on transmission fluid replacement/flushes........ please note:

All model year 2019 and 2020* vehicles are delivered from the factory with Castrol EDGE Pro V 0w-20

Synthetic oil. Castrol EDGE Pro V 0W20 is specifcally co-engineered for the Volvo VEP4 2.0L engine

to maximize fuel effciency and engine performance.

Also note:

The vehicle’s Owner’s Manual** currently reflects the global recommendation for oil viscosity. The

U.S. market will follow the extreme driving conditions recommendation.

EXTREME CONDITIONS FOR US MARKET:

- Transmission FLuid = Volvo recommends changing transmission fluid every 50,000 miles/80,000 kilometers, only on vehicles used for towing,
or when a message appears in the instrument panel text window.
- CABIN FILTERS = Recommended to replace at least once a year or more often in heavy traffic or dirty/dusty areas. (this means 10k miles or one year as opposed to VOLVO WARRANTY services doing it at 20k miles)
- BRAKE FLUID = Recommended to replace every 3 years or 40,000 miles (if driven in mountainous areas or humid climates – every one year) at owner’s request.
Very interesting info! Thanks for sharing it!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I've been using liqui moly 0w20 VCC RBS0-2AE for my 2018 XC90 without an issue. I bought mine from fcp euro.
Volvo's primary goal for 0w20 is to improve fuel economy. Real world tests only show a ~1% increase in fuel economy, though.

I'll stick with 5w30 for better protection in the Texas heat. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts