SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I just had our 2010 S80 AWD T6 (101k miles) in at the dealer for a key fob programming this morning (needed another, car only came with 1 and I got a 20% off the service for Black Friday)... and I was informed from a multi-point inspection that the breather box/oil trap is badly plugged. The cost of parts and service to take care of this there was $480.00+ tax. I almost spit out my coffee and actually laughed a little...

So, can anyone provide any insight on taking care of this myself? Has anyone else had to do it? If so, is it easy? Difficult? Expensive?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I did a search in the S80 forum on 'breather box' and 'oil trap' and didn't really see anything on those... unless I missed it, which is possible, I've been awake since 4am CDT. :confused:

Thanks much,

Gregg

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Connor. Just sent you an email.

So... 65 views and no one has any ideas on where to start with this procedure?!? :confused:

Maybe it's the Thanksgiving hangover... :beer:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
That's interesting.

Normally, if a breather box/oil trap is "badly plugged" on the Si6 engines, there will be a check engine light or a whistle type noise at idle.

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a 2010 3.2
My dealer pointed this out to me months ago. My car had about 48k at the time. Roughly the same price you were quoted for the repair.
I ignored their suggestion to replace it. 20k miles later....still no issues.

·
Registered
462 Posts
From what I've seen (and mine was replaced 20K miles ago by the previous owner at Volvo for "leaking oil"), this is a simple part on the top of the engine and "should" be able to be replaced fairly simply I would think. But I've NOT researched this much at all.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yes, on a 3.2 it is very simple. On the T6, it is in the same place but the air pipe feeding the turbo runs close behind the PCV box and is somewhat of a hassle to work around.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies, I'll check into it more tonight... when I can fire up my VIDA setup to see what it says in there. I figured (and hoped) it would be a 'fairly' easy thing to do... and not "worth" spending almost $500 to have the dealer do it.

Also, I thought of the same thing on the way home that morning... if this was so "badly plugged", why isn't there a CEL coming on with a code?!? I guess the same thoughts as some here. Good point.

I'll post back with results. Waiting to hear back from Connor from Viva Performance on parts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny thing... my 98' S70 needed the same thing done right before I sold it, and it had a slight oil leak from a cam seal. I don't want this to get bad enough where the same thing (or worse) happens to this car, as it's now my main vehicle.

You guys think I can get through the winter??? I'd rather not have to do this in cold temps, but of course would, if I had to... and if it's relatively easy to do.

I hope to get a LP garage heater for Xmas, so that would help keep things 'warmer' as well.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found the procedure in VIDA last night, doesn't look to be too bad. May attempt replacement this weekend if the part ($157.99 + free shipping on Amazon) arrives in time.

Will update when done.

BTW, I took the oil cap off last night after the 30min ride home from work... no noticeable pressure 'relief'. Was the dealer trying to pull a fast one on me??? Who knows. Anyways, $160.00 for the part and maybe an hours time is WAY better than the $480.00+ tax I was quoted... :facepalm:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, on a 3.2 it is very simple. On the T6, it is in the same place but the air pipe feeding the turbo runs close behind the PCV box and is somewhat of a hassle to work around.
Anyone have a part number ont the 3.2 oil trap/breather box? Dealer has been trying to get me to replace for $450 for the last 30k miles. Also any link to the replacement procedure would be super helpful.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Done and done!

Took care of this over the weekend, not "too bad" of a job. See photos here (I hope it works, first time linking to an album):

https://flic.kr/s/aHskqvXSMb

Trelos, as far as the part number goes... I believe you need a 31319642 which is for a non-turbo. I needed the 31319643 (turbo)... they're different, so please double-check. Mine came with a gasket (the green thing in the photos), but that part number is 30757223 (non-turbo)... if you need it.

I called a place on Amazon that had mine for $157.00 (with free shipping), I think it was *****'s Volvo... heck of a nice guy, and he ships FAST! Had it in 3 days from So Cal.

For the procedure, I worked off the diagrams in VIDA (I'll upload those in a following post), but did NOT take everything apart. I couldn't figure out how... and it really wasn't necessary. I needed/used a T30 Torx socket, a couple different lengths of 1/2" drive wobble extensions (you'll need these to get at the rear screws) and a 1/2" rachet. I only cut the small hose clamp coming off the oil trap and disconnected the 'larger' intake hose via the hose clamp near the air box. Again, this will make sense with the photos. I disconnected a small sensor (towards the drivers side) and took all (14) screws out. Use caution on the rear screws... as I was not paying attention and dropped one! Once they were out, a few taps on it with a rubber mallet and tah-dah... it was off!

Replacement is just the opposite of the above. Let me tell ya, it was dirty! After a half can of CRC Intake/Throttle Body cleaner and about 10 linear feet of paper towel... I got 'er looking pretty good. I got out as much as possible. I didn't over-tighten the screws, as I was almost able to back them out by hand. The spec in VIDA says 10nm.

I can't think of anything else off-hand... not too bad of a job. It'll be easier of there was more room (not sure if the shroud above the oil trap 'needs' to be removed, but I didn't take that off).

Beats paying almost $500.00 to have this done... :beer:

Reactions: willtride

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Isn't this done if you get your car serviced? I mean at least every x miles, maybe not every service but still. Or is this something I should worry about? I have a V8 at 60k miles and no clue if it's been done. No clue what it should look like (or where it even is located, actually).

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Isn't this done if you get your car serviced?
One would think! At least that's how I feel about it.

The PCV system is probably the most 'neglected' (not intentionally) part of a car, by most people. I wouldn't have thought of it, if the dealership I went to 2 weeks ago didn't mention there was "pressure" release when the oil cap was removed during an inspection.

By the way the oil trap (i.e. part) looked when I removed it... I'm guessing mine was never done, and I bought it with 96K miles on it earlier this year (late Feb 2015). It appeared to have been serviced mostly at the dealer (Cherry Volvo in NJ), but I don't recall seeing anything saying the oil trap was replaced. I would "think" it should be a part of a 60K or 90K (at the latest) service. Perhaps someone else has knowledge of what all is covered in those. I'll take a look tonight to see if it's listed in the service maintenance manual.

Just something I thought I'd share, so folks can be 'proactive' and not 'reactive' if a seal blows due to pressure build up... which is what happened to my beloved S70 not long before I sold it. Unfortunately, that breather box was harder to replace.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One more thing...

I did a comparison on the way to/from work the last days... and believe my Hwy mpg has increased slightly, by ~1.5-2.0mpg. This is with driving the same speed cruise set to 68-70mph, low wind conditions and fairly equal air temps the past 3 days. I'm using 87 octane gas in the car... and have consistently gotten 30.5 to 32.5 Hwy mpg, compared to ~28.0 to 29.0 before replacing the oil trap/breather box.

If you do not know when yours has been replaced, I'd recommend getting it done or doing it yourself. The T6 wasn't bad, not sure how difficult the 3.2 or V8 is.

Just something I thought I'd bring up, since it is often neglected... at least it was by me!

Take care,

Gregg

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I decided to pull the oil filler cap after a cold start and I noticed a strong sucking sound. Same with the dipstick. I realize this thread is regarding the 6-cyl PCV systems but I have a V8 if that makes any difference. To my limited PCV-system knowledge, engines are not supposed to give off sucking nor blowing when the dipstick or filler cap is removed, isn't that so?

Why is it doing that? Is it the oil trap or breather box? Or is that the same thing? Any further troubleshooting or should I look in to cleaning or replacing anything on that end?

I shot a short crappy video but I hope the audio should be indicative enough for a conclusion of some sort: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cidvzqnr3ju98c/V8 PCV.mov?dl=0

·
Registered
462 Posts
I decided to pull the oil filler cap after a cold start and I noticed a strong sucking sound. Same with the dipstick. I realize this thread is regarding the 6-cyl PCV systems but I have a V8 if that makes any difference. To my limited PCV-system knowledge, engines are not supposed to give off sucking nor blowing when the dipstick or filler cap is removed, isn't that so?

Why is it doing that? Is it the oil trap or breather box? Or is that the same thing? Any further troubleshooting or should I look in to cleaning or replacing anything on that end?

I shot a short crappy video but I hope the audio should be indicative enough for a conclusion of some sort: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cidvzqnr3ju98c/V8 PCV.mov?dl=0
Actually, I think that is what it's supposed to do when the PCV system is working correctly - creating a slightly negative pressure in the crankcase via sucking in the crankcase fumes/mist back into the intake manifold via the PCV plumbing.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts