SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I changed out at 104,500 for 10w-30 for winter, but I keep reading that 0w-30 or 0w-40 is best in these cars. It's at 107k now (2001 t5). I've always used 5w in the summer in a 2003 2.4t, but I've only had this one for about 10k miles. is there a big difference?

·
Registered
161 Posts
You won't notice any or even little difference with a 0W-40 or 5W-40, the W number tends to be irrelevant in the summer. Technically, a 0W will always flow better, but this would become more prevalent in the wintertime. Please also remember that different brands of oil can "feel" different, sometimes because one manufacturer's oil is thicker or thinner than the other's of the same grade (different measurements of this other than SAE, it is a range) and also formulation and other technical reasons. Also as to if the engine is "quiet" or not. Different brands yield different results, sometimes surprising. Mobil 1 0W-40 vs Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra where 5W-40 seems easier to find than 0W-40 are two very much preferred oils; some prefer the Pennzoil, and experience a smoother engine, everyone has a different opinion on this matter.

Some even prefer to run a 5W-30 full synthetic. That could be fine, too.

I believe I have a friend that uses a 5W-40 in the summer, seems to prefer a 40-weight in the P2 car, 2.4 LPT.. I could always ask. ?

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
0w40, 5w40, rotella, Castrol, Mobil 1 whatever you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I purchase 5w30 MobilOne from Costco or Sams when on sale and hold on to it until 5000 miles comes up. I always have 6 qts on hand for the upcoming change. I have been doing it for years (over 50K miles) and have seen no adverse effects on the engine or turbo.
Seeing your mileage, I would raise your awareness that if the timing belt/tensioner/idler pulley (all 3) have not been changed in the last 30,000 miles of 7 years, it is urgent it be done. And screw the mfr recommendation of 107K. 90K is as far out as I would stretch it personally.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I purchase 5w30 MobilOne from Costco or Sams when on sale and hold on to it until 5000 miles comes up. I always have 6 qts on hand for the upcoming change. I have been doing it for years (over 50K miles) and have seen no adverse effects on the engine or turbo.
Seeing your mileage, I would raise your awareness that if the timing belt/tensioner/idler pulley (all 3) have not been changed in the last 30,000 miles of 7 years, it is urgent it be done. And screw the mfr recommendation of 107K. 90K is as far out as I would stretch it personally.
Belt was done at 67k miles a few years back as the sticker says. When I got the car it had plenty of 5w-30 mobil 1 in it, and even hidden under the seats.
I'll try 0w40 and change out the belt at 120k. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Red Line 10w40, top up with whatever diesel 15w40 (C3) gas station has on the shelf. Yet have to see how is my oil consumption with the new turbo, maybe it can do the whole OCI without topping up.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
0w40 Castrol GTX euro formula is what I now use in all my rigs, I have noticed the engines are all a little smoother and quieter with the 40w.

·
Registered
144 Posts
"euro formula"?
Is that different than the Castrol Edge I buy at Costco?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
0w40 Castrol GTX euro formula is what I now use in all my rigs, I have noticed the engines are all a little smoother and quieter with the 40w.
That's what I kept reading, that the cars run smoother with the 40...

"euro formula"?
Is that different than the Castrol Edge I buy at Costco?
I don't think so, I believe all of the 0w stuff is "euro formula" (it's just a little green circle under where it reads the weight), I don't normally see it around a lot of auto stores though.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
5W-30 Castrol synthetic, $25 for 5 quarts at Walmart.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use Mobil 0W40 in my 2004 XC70, and in my 2015 GTI that is heavily modified, and have used it in the last 6 Euro cars I have owned. its a "Lighter" 40 weight but meets all manufacturers specifications and always return a good UOA for me.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
5W-30 Castrol synthetic, $25 for 5 quarts at Walmart.
Yep. I usually get the least expensive, name brand 5W30 synthetic at Wally World.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts