SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Is there a way to see the oil temp? If so, how? Typically I let the car warm up until the oil temp is normal, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Hi All,

Is there a way to see the oil temp? If so, how? Typically I let the car warm up until the oil temp is normal, but for the life of me, I can't find it.
There is not.

There have been numerous discussions, in other model threads, about this topic and this post may start another endless discussion.

The truth of the matter is that the best way to get the engine (and the rest of its moving parts) up to operating temps is through driving it.

Letting it run for 30 secs to 90 secs is OK but then get in and drive it. Don't push the engine hard until you feel warm air coming through the vents. Letting it idle more than 1.5 minute is wasting fuel.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
If you waited for your oil to warm up, you'd probably have to let the car idle for 15-20 minutes. My Cayenne includes an oil temp gauge, which doesn't register until 150 degrees, but you can also get the information on a digital readout. It takes literally 15 good minutes of DRIVING before the oil gets above 150 degrees, or into operating temp zone. It generally stabilizes around 220, IIRC.

So Yannis is correct. Let it warm up for 30-60 seconds then drive. Most owners manuals warn against excessive cold idling.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all, thank you so much for the info. I was always taught to let the temp to start climbing before driving. That was the only reason why I asked about the temp readout. Good to know that after a minute of idle, the car is good to drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts