SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:facepalm: Started getting a (used) oil smell in the cabin recently which followed sluggish response/performance over the past 4-5 weeks. At first I thought the caR was bogging down in the +90 degree weather we had in July but now the weather has cooled a bit and it's still no better. The oil smell through the vents started more recently (couple weeks).

Do these symptoms sound like they are PCV related (92K miles now on 2006 SR GT) or could the sluggishness be another issue (not sure if PCV would cause this symptom)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think I have this too... But only when I go to 4-5k RPM. I'm at about 99k miles right now, and I'm thinking it's either the PCV or the fact that my camshaft cover gasket is leaking.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Sounds like an oil pressure issue, so yeah, it could be pcv. Pull your coil pack cover and see if there's oil on top of the cylinder heads. If there's a lot, it could a be a sign of your pcv getting clogged.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
An alternative way to check your PCV is to run your car, get her nice and all warmed up (drive normally, just get it to operating temp) and then while it is still running, pop the hood and remove your oil dipstick. If you see steam and oil vapor just puff puffing away up and out of the dipstick tube, your PCV is clogged. If you put a balloon over the tube, it'll do one of two things, either the car will try to blow up the balloon, or it will try to suck the balloon into the dipstick tube. The first is not good, the second is good. HTH!!

-Steve :beer:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
An alternative way to check your PCV is to run your car, get her nice and all warmed up (drive normally, just get it to operating temp) and then while it is still running, pop the hood and remove your oil dipstick. If you see steam and oil vapor just puff puffing away up and out of the dipstick tube, your PCV is clogged. If you put a balloon over the tube, it'll do one of two things, either the car will try to blow up the balloon, or it will try to suck the balloon into the dipstick tube. The first is not good, the second is good. HTH!!

-Steve :beer:
balloon method ftw. What an awesome way to check!!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Removed the cover over the coils and found surprisingly little oil under there - some visible where the small PCV hose (accordian) goes into the valve cover

Fairly clean of oil

Looks like there may be an issue with the PCV accordion hose though - could not see a physical crack though but possibly cracked as there is oil on the hose (but oil could also be from last oil change if oil spilled during the oil fill process?)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts