SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 04 xc70, I've owned the car for a month and need to change the oil, I'm capable of doing it myself and was wondering what type of oil and filter everyone one else is using

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Oil filters: Mahle is OE, but you'll be fine using Mann or Hengst (both are OEMs for other makes) as well.

Oil: synthetic 5w30 or 10w30 due to the PCV system on these cars. Change regularly (every 5k miles?) to avoid issues down the road.

Also, some brand's (eg Mobil 1) 10w30 oils have very similar viscosities as 5w30 but with less viscosity index improvers and volatility. I would choose the 10w30 in these cases.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil filters: Mahle is OE, but you'll be fine using Mann or Hengst (both are OEMs for other makes) as well.

Oil: synthetic 5w30 or 10w30 due to the PCV system on these cars. Change regularly (every 5k miles?) to avoid issues down the road.

Also, some brand's (eg Mobil 1) 10w30 oils have very similar viscosities as 5w30 but with less viscosity index improvers and volatility. I would choose the 10w30 in these cases.
I actually did that glove test and think I have a clogged pcv system, I know the previous owner did do the oil changes consistently but might have not used synthetic oil

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I actually did that glove test and think I have a clogged pcv system, I know the previous owner did do the oil changes consistently but might have not used synthetic oil
It seems that regardless of what is used, the oil has to be changed early enough to minimize the chance of vapours clogging up the PCV. This will depend on the type of driving you do as well; short city trips are brutal on oil and warrant shorter change intervals.

For what it's worth, the previous owner of my V70 had the oil changed every 2k km with conventional 5w30 and my crankcase still has a strong vacuum at 120k km. I'm thinking of switching to synthetic 10w30 with 5k km intervals

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
If the PCV is clean (new) a 5K mi/full-synth regimen is more than adequate. My car sees about 7000 mi of all-city driving and a few long road trips each year that seem to keep it clean. My PCV did not need to be done, I had found out when I got it serviced. Thats 130K all original. Of course, dry air seems to help some, so YMMV.

·
Registered
240 Posts
We use Castrol 5W-30 full synthetic in ours with a MANN filter. As far as the change interval...for us, its always between 5.5k and 7.5k miles.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I use conventional 5w-30 which I didn't realize was a sin until I joined this forum :)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
That's what I hear. Just being honest about what I've done, not advocating doing it. Sorta scared to switch now for some reason just because things have been going well so far. But maybe next oil change.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Castrol synthetic 10w30.

6-7k for the XC.

4-5k for the R.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have typically used conventional oil...

...and just recently went to partial synthetic. Just had to do the PCV service on my turbo. If full synthetic is preferred, count me in.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
To those jumping on the full synthetic bandwagon for the first time: be careful on higher mileage engines. Full synthetic, especially a high grade synthetic, has many times the amount of cleaning additives that conventional has and could break sludge loose and cause a restriction somewhere.

If going to full synthetic straight without chasers on an engine with over 100k, it would be a pretty good idea to run an oil cleaner through the engine beforehand, and maybe changing the oil filter in between oil changes just to watch for debris.

It's not hard to tell how hard the oil is cleaning, just look at the amount of debris on the oil filter cup when the oil is changed.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
That has been the fear that's kept me away from doinf it the past few changes. Every time I consider I think about the potential gumming up and headache that might ensue and say "ahhhhhh.......next time..." Then that repeats. What about running a blend for a couple changes prior to full to ease the transition? Or will that not really matter. I guess crud is crud right?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
A custom blend of conventional to synthetic is a good way of achieving the same results.

*puts on nerd hat*

My previous 2006 XC70 was not a completely happy car. When it first arrived in my care at 90K I replaced everything related to tune up except the ignition coils. It ran and rode well, but there was quite a bit of junk in the engine. Several months after purchase I drove it to Canada and didn't even average 24 mpg, while my co-worker with the same car would average 26+ on a pure highway trip. Mostly irrelevant MPG, but I was curious. I ran cleaning additives through the oil (BG Compression Restore), went with 1 qt very high grade synthetic to 5 qts non for the first oil change, 3 to 3 the next, and then full synthetic (maybe one other oil change in there, I can't remember). Usually I try and get a oil that meets the demanding Mercedes-Benz oil spec 229.51, but for curiosities sake I went with one meeting a GF-5 for the MPG curiosity. My final trip just before selling it I average almost 28.8 mpg.

I of course was running premium fuel only coming from gas stations that met "Top Tear Gas" requirements -- http://www.toptiergas.com/

On my current XC the PCV and oil pan had been pulled before it came to me so I went straight to full synthetic. I can't compare MPG to the previous car because I traveled a lot in the previous car VS only about 4k so far this year on this one (not to mention slightly different size tires).

When I get to work I will get you a pie graph that shows all the confusing different oil specifications. When buying a synthetic oil at least make sure it meets the ILSAC A1-B1 specs. API is old school useless for those of us driving Euro cars.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Just give it the Italian Tune-Up :p
(No don't do that on a sludged engine)

Running the engine hot/hard will help to clean up a lot of what accumulated in the engine and will allow whatever additives in the oil to work better. If you're truly worried about deposits then drop the pan and give it a good cleaning and replace the pick-up tube, and service the PCV.

http://www.v70xc.com/resources/how-...Lubrication System Contamination Cleaning.pdf

1 - 20 of 29 Posts