SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning an early oil change before the big trip to SC and I see that Volvo recommends Castrol Edge Syn. It took me a while to find it, but I finally did at $40 for 5 qts. Since the XC69 needs 7+ qts, that will be $80 for the oil, another $11 for the filter. Might as well have the dealer do it for $100.

I see that Mobil 1 is $27 for the same 5 qts. Is there any risk to changing to Mobil 1 or any other premium syn oil?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
No there is no risk as long as its full synthetic.

·
Registered
745 Posts
As s6013t5 states there's no risk as long as its full synthetic. On a side note if you can find a Volvo dealer that does oil changes for $100 let me know.... We pay around $200.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As s6013t5 states there's no risk as long as its full synthetic. On a side note if you can find a Volvo dealer that does oil changes for $100 let me know.... We pay around $200.
Really! I was told (not by the dealer) that it would cost $100. $200 = OUCH!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Really! I was told (not by the dealer) that it would cost $100. $200 = OUCH!
if you think about it.. 8qts of oil + filter + enviro fee you're looking at $100. Add in 1/2 hr labour + other fees + taxes easy to get up to $200. I rechecked the invoice and the total was closer to $180 (forgot that I got touch up paint).

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
$180 seems high. Our dealer charges $125 plus tax. Where are you located?

·
Registered
745 Posts
$180 seems high. Our dealer charges $125 plus tax. Where are you located?
In Canada... Our shop rates are stupid high. I think they're around $140/hr.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does it have to be full synthetic? I'm asking because the manual says dealer always add non-synthetic if you don't ask. I assume all SAE 5W-30 (or other recommended in the manual) should be fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd stay with full synthetic - it deteriorates less with the heat from turbo and holds up better over the long run. If you were to switch to standard oil, I wouldn't run any longer than 5k between changes, especially if you do a lot of short trips.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Does it have to be full synthetic? I'm asking because the manual says dealer always add non-synthetic if you don't ask. I assume all SAE 5W-30 (or other recommended in the manual) should be fine.
I'm split on this one... I always use full synthetic being in a cold climate it makes a huge difference on cold starts.

I've heard that you shouldn't switch a car from full synthetic back to regular but if you believe the oil companies many say it's 100% fine to switch.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
For warranty purposes and the 10k OCI it must be synthetic. Synthetic was a requirement from 2013 on, what year do you have?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
In Canada... Our shop rates are stupid high. I think they're around $140/hr.
I assume the $140 is Canadian dollars, meaning its $178 US dollars. That is stupid high. Im going to quit complaining about our $130 US labor rate.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am planning an early oil change before the big trip to SC and I see that Volvo recommends Castrol Edge Syn. It took me a while to find it, but I finally did at $40 for 5 qts. Since the XC69 needs 7+ qts, that will be $80 for the oil, another $11 for the filter. Might as well have the dealer do it for $100.

I see that Mobil 1 is $27 for the same 5 qts. Is there any risk to changing to Mobil 1 or any other premium syn oil?
Update:

I found Castrol Edge full Syn at Meijer for $26.69/5qts. Same as other premium synthetics.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Have not yet used it in my Volvo - but replaced the recommended 5-30 synthetic in my BMW with Mobil1 0-40 (recommended) - and gained mpg. Expect that it would provide superior performance in the Volvo as well. Waiting out the "free" oil changes.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts