SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I washed out the engine bay of my s70 and when i started it back up the oil pressure light came on. At first it was going off and on but now it stays on. Could i have gotten the sensor wet and broke it? The car runs fine but i dont want to drive it around and blow the motor up if it actually is low oil pressure.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Have you bothered to look and see if the wire to the sensor is still attached? It's to the right of the dip stick and firetrap oil return to the block.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah its connected, is it possible the sensor got wet and broke? That light never came on before i washed out the engine bay. If i start the car and let it idle it comes on dim and goes on and off at first, then it turns solid. any ideas what it could be other than the sensor? I know the lifters and oil pan o-rings could cause the light but would the car be running poorly? It would just be a weird coincidence if something was causing low oil pressure immediately after i cleaned the engine.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Your guess is as good as mine. If there is oil on the dip stick, and you don't hear any clacking from the lifters, your probably OK.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah theres oil, and theres a slight clicking but its been doing that for a while, i did the screwdriver test to pinpoint the noise and its coming from the fuel rail so thats probably just injector noise. Im just being paranoid i dont wanna blow my engine up lol

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
That is weird, and no it's designed to get wet. In heavy rain, water comes blowing in through the fan right on to all that stuff.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah its extremely weird, the car NEVER had that light come on before, then first start after cleaning the engine its there.... and the car runs the same as it did before, is there any way i can easily do an oil pressure test?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Oil sensors are not expensive, just replace it and see if you still have a light, if you still do at that point, you likely have some bigger issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im gonna do that, should i get the switch too? My main concern is its my only mode of transportation and ive gotta get to class tonight lol

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Not sure what switch your referring to. Just make sure you have a socket that fits the Oil Pressure Sensor / Switch, it will make the job easy to complete.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts