SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does your low/no oil pressure light stay on after a cold start up? Recently had my PCV swapped under warranty and have noticed the light is staying on longer than before, probably is close to 1 1/2 seconds. Prior I only remember seeing it on the initial start after an oil change or sitting a few days. Anyone else with similar experience?

'08 S40 2.4i ~60k Cast. 10W-30

·
Registered
837 Posts
mine doesn't come on at all, if that says anything...idk. I do have a T5 though

·
Registered
484 Posts
its probably nothing to worry about, maybe your just paying attention to it and it has you worried, and before maybe you never payed much attention to it

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I never have a light on cold start but my 2.4i seems to be very sensitive. The light always flashes when I let the clutch out at low revs. Your issue makes me worry less about mine. :)
05' 120k 0w40 Mobil 1

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
You should check your oil level imidiatly, also check your oil filter.

For winter seasons in our cars, i dont reccomend using 10w-30

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Also when was the last Time : Motor Flushed or Cleaned on the Inside .

Dam Good in the very Deep Cold : -10 and Deeper in the Oil all the Time .
I used it in the Fuel once We start Hitting 15 degree . I also use it in the VW as It's Fuel Pump 1600 PSI is run off the Cams .
The Pumps only Lube is Fuel : Hot Cam Drive & Follower & Oil - send Temp into the Pump . A Little Marvel - goes a long way .

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/mmo/

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately, I am a few hours from home right now. Will pull and post pics tomorrow. Forgot to add that the oil and filter have been changed since the Pcv swap, nothing abnormal on the filter. Oil did get blacker after the Pcv swap. Eng tech- think its an issue with the filter? In regard to the flush, never done one on this car, been the owner since new and have more than kept up on changes.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Maybe when they did the pcv swap they didn't fill the oil back up, if its black, doesn't sound like they did an oil change.. so you should probably do one. Also for our turbo motors, I wouldn't recommend 10w-30 in the winter seasons

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Hit It with 6 OZ of Marvel - heading into Winter 1000 miles won't Hurt anything .

So 200-300 miles , in the Mean time - I - always use less then they state on Bottle .
I use 1-2 Oz. in Cold Winter in Fuel.
I also will do 3-4 Oz. in Deep Cold in Oil .

If General Cleaning 3-4 Oz in Oil is plenty , then Drive 100 miles min.

Is there any associated - sight Oil psi knock - like an = Empty Oil Filter - upon Starting ?

corrected spelling

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EngTech-I was wondering if the anti drain back was malfunctioning. I assume the trap has a feature similar to the old Volvo(Wixx/Mann) filters... That said, there isn't any noticeable noise, like there is a dry start. I won't rant about the brilliant filter design of present.

Attempted to pull the filter a few minutes ago and it stayed in the oil with the cap in my hand, so it might have come unseated? The compartment still had oil in it, but this was a few minutes after it had been running. Swapped the filter to be safe. I'll PM you oil filter pics, but I didn't notice anything "abnormal". I'll update in the morning if this resolved the issue.

Evolv0-The dealer did fail to check the oil. It was about a qt low when I got checked it the next morning... Needless to say there were some discussions with Volvo and the dealer following that snafu. Considering they normally believe 6.1qts means pour 7 in, it was disappointing(at least when I had them do the changes).
I've debated bt running 5w-30, but I am in Middle TN and I've never seen temps in the range where I fall out of the 10w-30 band in the manual. Not the best reference, but both local dealers use 10w-30.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
My first and still main thought about this issue was anti drainback valve. This is built into the PCV/oil filter housing. With that being changed recently, I would DEFINITELY suspect that. Check the oil level in the filter housing before a cold start. If dry, that's the culprit.

It sounds like the situation just after an oil change where the system has to re-prime the oil passages and filter before building oil pressure. I don't get that priming time (and hence low oil pressure time) as long after I change the oil, because I fill the filter housing with oil prior to startup.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm going to start pouring some oil in the housing, I always let some oil soak in a normal filter not sure why I haven't other than the risk of spills are a bit higher. Did compare to a coworkers 2010 S40, and the light was on a similar length of time. So probably just being more cognitive of it.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Anybody have a shop manual callout for the location of the oil pressure sender? I want to put a gauge on mine, even just temporarily. On a short length of tubing, a mechanical gauge would be the definitive answer to your oil pressure worries. (Longer tube length gives a long lag time in the reading, unless a larger diameter tube is used and it is filled with oil.) I have never seen the oil pressure light come on during engine start (key position III). Mine is an '05 2.4i V50.

Never used MMO. Back when I owned a Chrysler Product (dodge intrepid: worst decision ever) people raved about the stuff helping their engines. Every week, someone new was complaining their engines had succumbed to sludge, and now had no oil pressure, and that MMO helped.
Research Chrysler 2.7 V6 if interested. ****tiest engine ever built apart from GM's 350 diesel. Lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts