SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy again,<p>For the two weeks I have had my new (to me) '01 C70 Conv., I have enjoyed it immensely. Stylish, exclusive and classy; just what I need as I close in on the big 4-0, as opposed to something that screams, "I'm STILL young, dammit!"<p>Anyway, since I have had the car, I have noticed that the top of the engine (2.4L) seems to always have oil on it. The seller LIED and told me it was that shiny dress-up stuff that dealerships put on engines + tiles, but I knew THAT was B.S. <p>Upon taking it to my local mechanic before buying, I was told there was a leak in the car's "Turbo oil return tube seal" and that it needed replacing. I assumed that that was the problem...<p>Now I have purchased the car, and I have had the turbo oil return tube seal work done, but oil is still appearing on the top of the engine. I can wipe it away completely in the morning, and by noon (after driving 15 miles to work) there is oil back on the top of the engine!<p>Today I decided to get a new ring for the oil filler cap, and I will see if that, finally, was the problem. We'll see...<p>Does anyone have a similar experience? I cannot imagine this is normal...<p>Thanks,<p>

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
This is pretty common with a bad filler cap gasket, but I attribute all of the oil to excessive crankcase pressure. Be sure to also check the rubber hose (about the size of a finger) that comes up to the top of the engine from the oil separator under the intake manifold. Mine was not very tight and was leaking from there. I cinched it down and this helps. Either way, if you're past 80K miles, you probably need to do your pcv (positive crankcase ventilation) system repair/replacement. Without it, hoses get clogged and cause excessive pressure in the engine causing leaks such as this. Be happy that it's not your rear main engine seal. The intake manifold has to come off for this service- probably the hardest part. You can clean all of the related hoses, but truly, it's just easier to replace them. <A HREF="http://www.fcpgroton.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.fcpgroton.com</A> sells a kit for your car- the entire pcv hose system/oil trap or separator, all of the clamps, etc. Also, you'll need an intake manifold gasket and if you plan on cleaning your throttle body while everything is opened up, a throttle body gasket. Hope this information is helpful. I just did mine last Christmas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (MadeInJapan)

I tried the gasket in the oil filler cap, but no dice - after some driving the oil was still coming out onto the engine.<p>My people at Volvo Service Center on Hwy. 316 & GA-20 (Lawrenceville, GA) found the answer... the oil filler NECK itself was bent on one side, evidently a portion of the neck facing the back of the engine compartment, and the oil leaked from there.<p>Evidently it was from a previous oil change; I just got the car a month ago so it could have been anyone. But, all is good now; thanks for the help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts