SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed drip marks on the cold side of my turbo. What is the general thought on where its coming from when it leaks like that? Oil return maybe?

It is enough of a leak to leave a drip spot on the driveway.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If drip is at air inlet to turbo from the air filter box, common observation. Oil enterst into this tube from the PCV system. Since the seal at the turbo is not perfect, an oil drip starts. Check your PCV system using the glove test at the oil fill cap. I have read a piece of bicycle tube can be used as a seal to the air tube. Either way, oil enters the turbo and charge air piping. Totally normal.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's outside of the turbo on the bottom of the exterior. And maybe you meant that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Completely normal for some oil seepage at the turbo inlet. There are bulletins after bulletins on what normal oil seepage is. We use to get a few Volvo's every week from Carmax and their little inspection sheet would say "Turbo Leaking" and we would show them the Bulletin and no the car won't be getting a new turbo under warranty. Yours is probably fine. They all will leak some oil and look wet. Most of the oil is from the PCV entering right above the turbo inlet and it just drips down in the intake pipe and out down the turbo inlet. Its usually a drip or two every once in awhile. Remember 1 qt of oil has approx 19K drops.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a puddle after I leave it sit a while

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
That would not be normal :)

The turbo oil return drain seal is known for leaking. Best to get it running at looking at where exactly its dripping from.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My thoughts lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts