SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry Im new but Ive found lovely oil coating my spark plug electrode (#4 only), threads, and its dripping into the combustion chamber, even a little on the boot. I want to have the valve cover gasket set changed, does this sound okay?<p>and no my engine light isnt on and smoke is not coming out my exhaust, but I do not have a steady idle and my gas mileage is below average.<p><br><i>Modified by Kenzo at 10:52 AM 8-23-2009</i><BR><BR>
<i>Modified by Kenzo at 1:32 PM 8-23-2009</i>

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
Re: Oil on spark plug electrode, threads, and boot 00 s70 GLT (Kenzo)

Well, it's very easy to have oil coating the rubber boot, threads, even filling up the well where the plug sits, literally bathed in oil, if the oil cap gasket is bad or if over a number of years oil has been spilled during top up. <p>Perhaps you just need to replace that plug and see what happens but it doesn't sound like you need to replace the valve cover gasket. Maybe there's something wrong with that particular coil also.<br>

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i will look at my cap gasket<p>but what do you say about the rough idle and oil within the combustion chamber, thats something

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
Re: (Kenzo)

Are you positive it is oil and not just unburned fuel? I would replace the plug and see what happens. If it really is oil then it is going to be either valves or rings, more likely the former. You may want to do a compression test on that cylinder.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh im sorry i forgot to say in the last post that yes I had replaced the plug and thats how I found the problem, I will perform a compression test and see what I get

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the mechanic said it was a very small leak, he recommended a valve cover gasket change<p>what would i need in order to do this work?<p>- valve cover gasket?<br>- valve spark plugs ring seals?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Re: (Kenzo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Kenzo</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So the mechanic said it was a very small leak, he recommended a valve cover gasket change<p>what would i need in order to do this work?<p>- valve cover gasket?<br>- valve spark plugs ring seals?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>One thing that hasn’t been made very clear in your post, is I have to assume that the oil is entering the well from the bottom of it, and not from the top down. <p>If this is indeed the case, then it could be related to a failure of the O’rings that are at each spark plug interface were the head and cam cover (it really isn’t a valve cover), come together. <p>If your going to perform this yourself, do your homework. An actual gasket is not used, Volvo uses a special gasket compound that you apply with a fine knapped paint roller. This needs to be evenly applied to the cam cover interface surface. <p>This material only cures with the absence of air. So once applied and the two halves are re-mated, then the compound will cure. The most critical part of the job is maintaining your camshaft timing. I’d also recommend replacing all four cam seals in the process. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why thank you, thats what I had been assuming<p>exactly what I was looking for<p><br>oh i forgot to add, where would be a suitable place to purchase these parts?<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by Kenzo at 4:16 PM 9-3-2009</i>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts