SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,544 Posts
Re: Oil message (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

Every engine and every driver is different.
To not even check the oil between 7500 mile oil changes is, a CRIME

Agreed!

Check your oil in before you leave the house, at least one/week, sheesh!
I'm a freek and check it before bed and again when I wake up.

Quote, originally posted by Cementups »
Got a message today saying that my oil was low, add oil. Checking the manual it says to add 1 quart if you see this message. My question is, what weight oil is in the car from the factory? I called the local dealer and they told me all they pump into their cars is 10W-30 Castrol GTX.

Thanks in advance for the help. BTW, the car has 6,000 miles on and stilll hasn't had it's first service and oil change.

10W-30 Castrol should be just fine in temps above freezing.

Get it changed soon and go synthetic especially if you tend to forget about your oil for weeks on end, then again if you keep that up you'll end up with bigger problems. You need to do exactly the opposite of what you're doing if you want your R to last.

Quote, originally posted by Short Circuit »
For one quart, it really does not matter. 10w30, 10w40...particularly this time of year, no prob with either.

I believe that's a mistake and definately don't mix brands or types within the same brand. Many of the manufacturers suggest you don't do this other than in an emergency, but some say it's fine.

Oil is the life-blood of your R. Go cheap, be lazy and pay the price later.

LTA

· Registered
2,544 Posts
Re: (zigger)

Zigger: I know some WRX guys that swear by Amsoil and some other imported really expensive stuff (you know what I'm talking about?)

I've been a Mobil1 guy for ever but will probably go Amsoil for my new R. They have some kind of testing program where you send them samples, I'm going to look into that too.

A Volvo tech at Volvo of Toronto (and a 2004 R owner) said he 'thinks' Volvo is now using semi-synthetic from the factory. Ask your guy at Volvo Villa, see what he says. Just curious.

LTA

Modified by LTA at 11:21 AM 4-18-2006

· Registered
2,544 Posts
Re: (sgmlaw)

Quote, originally posted by sgmlaw »
I just noticed what your wife is driving.

Not to pile on you, but I sure hope you're not doing long conventional runs with that one, too.

My wife has the same 'ride' and it gets babied just like my R does. Full synthetic oil, 94 octane gas (even in the winter) ...nothing but the best for my gal and our three precious kiddies

LTA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.