SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
418 Posts
Re: Oil message (Cementups)

Quote, originally posted by Cementups »
Got a message today saying that my oil was low, add oil. Checking the manual it says to add 1 quart if you see this message. My question is, what weight oil is in the car from the factory? I called the local dealer and they told me all they pump into their cars is 10W-30 Castrol GTX.

Thanks in advance for the help. BTW, the car has 6,000 miles on and stilll hasn't had it's first service and oil change.

Cementups, it looks like everyone here is so busy answering questions you didn't ask, nobody is answering the question you DID ask. I believe the manual states that 5W40 is the recommended weight, but I don't recall for sure, and my car (with manual), is nowhere near me at the moment. Please check your manual, as I think you'll get the answer in less time than it takes you to log on to your computer. Yes, I know I didn't answer your question either! Sorry.

· Registered
418 Posts
Re: Oil message (sgmlaw)

Quote, originally posted by sgmlaw »

You're right, of course. But when a man pulls up and asks for cross-country directions, and you see the belts showing through his tires, what should you tell him?

I see what you mean!

· Registered
418 Posts
Re: Oil message (MAC1LSR)

Quote, originally posted by MAC1LSR »

Cementups, it looks like everyone here is so busy answering questions you didn't ask, nobody is answering the question you DID ask. I believe the manual states that 5W40 is the recommended weight, but I don't recall for sure, and my car (with manual), is nowhere near me at the moment. Please check your manual, as I think you'll get the answer in less time than it takes you to log on to your computer. Yes, I know I didn't answer your question either! Sorry.

I have the Owners Manual (2005 V70 and V70 R) in front of me now, and under "Changing Oil and Oil Filter", p. 152, the Viscosity diagram with the red thermometer running across the top of the diagram shows that SAE 10W30 is recommended for ambient temperatures of -4 F to 104 F, and SAE 5W40 is recommended for ambient temperatures of <-22 F to 104 F.

So, we have a choice, according to Volvo. I've been using 5W40 Mobil 1 since soon after I bought my car. It's funny that the Mobil 1 label on the 5-quart jug reads "For Trucks and SUVs". Ah, those marketing folks have their own ideas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.