SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 S60- 40K. Checked the oil today...NONE...put 4 quarts in and just made a mark on the dipstick. Where the hell did the oil go? It has been consistent in full level since I purchased it three years ago. I check the oil every month. Pan underneath is dry...no billows of smoke from the exhaust. How do I hunt this thing down? HELP!!!

·
Registered
13,452 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
2013 S60- 40K. Checked the oil today...NONE...put 4 quarts in and just made a mark on the dipstick. Where the hell did the oil go? It has been consistent in full level since I purchased it three years ago. I check the oil every month. Pan underneath is dry...no billows of smoke from the exhaust. How do I hunt this thing down? HELP!!!
So you're saying you went from the full line on the dipstick to over 4 quarts low in the span of 30 days?! How many miles did you drive in the last month? Equally as alarming is that the car has a 3 year history of NOT consuming/leaking/burning any significant amount of oil and suddenly it loses 4+ quarts in a month?

I'm new to the Volvo community (been driving Saabs since 2004), so this question is mostly for those that have had experience with an oil burning Volvo... I understand, through forum searches, some of these cars have a high probability of excessive oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but does that issue typically go from non-existant to this extreme in such a short period of time? I would expect piston ring wear to be more of a gradually progressing problem.

If it is not leaking (and you would definitely notice the puddles under your car if it was) then it is either going out the exhaust, or the head gasket is breached and it is getting into the cooling system.

Things to check:

Check coolant tank for oil contamination (head gasket)
Compression test cylinders (ring wear)
Pull off any intake pipe between the turbo and the intake manifold to check for excessive oil residue (turbo bearing wear).

Another question for those more familiar with these engines, could a stuck check valve in the PCV system cause excessive oil consumption?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Main thing is you check your oil and you topped it off. At least you were not one of the victims of that thread Wayne T5 posted. It's up to 23 pages. I have read some threads of 2013 owners experiencing a similar fate. You were smart enough to check your dipstick, could of been a lot worse, you saved your engine from the scrap heap.

Depending on how close of a relationship you have with your dealer they may be able to fight on your behalf for a piston ring job. Some here on other threads have reported the dealer sometimes start with changing your PCV breather box/oil filter housing.

Did you see the warning light with the oil can illuminate on sharp turns or up hills on bends ? Good thing you caught it when you did. Good luck.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Good habit is to check oil level when you get fuel. This small amount of extra time can save you thousands.

I also concur with the above statements. Start checking the usual suspects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
753 Posts
Here we go again! Have fun! I had to get a new block about a year ago, same model car. Problem started at about 70K miles for me.
Did they give any goodwill to you ? I recall your posts from last year. Are you sure you have a new block and a new engine or did they just rebuild the head ? Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
No, I got nothing from my crappy dealer or VCNA. I paid for a used block, 5 grand. I didn't get on their case about early enough, but even then, my dealer is terrible. Pretty much done with Volvo at this point, but still got the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My dealer (Ahem, rhymes with BG), would not touch a rebuild. They said they don't do that. I complained but was always told for 30K miles "the cars just burn oil, that's the way they are". Don't believe hype folks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Every engine ever built burns some oil. It's a matter of how much and is it "Normal" for its mileage.[/QU
well, nothing like reports on this volvo, and i've had around 17 vehicles composed of cars, motorcycles, and boats......none of them ever close to this.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Every engine ever built burns some oil. It's a matter of how much and is it "Normal" for its mileage.[/QU
well, nothing like reports on this volvo, and i've had around 17 vehicles composed of cars, motorcycles, and boats......none of them ever close to this.
I just had that argument with this poster named dougy. He said that a good motor doesnt use ANY oil. That he had a truck that went several hundred thousand miles and didnt use a drop. What a load of crap. Of course there are extremes where there is actually a problem that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I just had that argument with this poster named dougy. He said that a good motor doesnt use ANY oil. That he had a truck that went several hundred thousand miles and didnt use a drop. What a load of crap. Of course there are extremes where there is actually a problem that needs to be addressed.

there's no way a motor can go that far and not use oil, so that is crap.... but to imply that these particular volvos are " normal" is almost as bad.
What i don't understand is how do these motors continue to run , using this much oil and not; foul plugs, smoke, ruin converters, set off the check engine light. Also , couldn't volvo, or for that matter, me.. pre emptively pull the pistons, de carbon the ring grooves and install new rings before cylinder damage is done. And wouldn't volvo save themselves thousands of dollars and customer battles by just saying bring the car in ?.....

·
Registered
236 Posts
... Also , couldn't volvo, or for that matter, me.. pre emptively pull the pistons, de carbon the ring grooves and install new rings before cylinder damage is done. And wouldn't volvo save themselves thousands of dollars and customer battles by just saying bring the car in ?.....
I'm guessing, for a dealership service center hourly rate, the cost of labor would exceed the cost of parts. In other words, it might be cheaper (and lower risk) for them to just replace the engine.

Tearing an engine completely apart is time consuming and tedious, and for someone who spends most of their time doing brake jobs, fluid changes, and other more routine maintenance jobs, they are more likely to forget some little detail and screw something up even worse. Nothing against factory techs, i'm sure many of them could successfully rebuild an engine, but they would not be as efficient or familiar with the process an a engine machine shop that specializes in rebuilding engines.

From a Volvo corporate standpoint, it is more economical (in the short term) to avoid the problem, or even deny it is a problem, by calling what most would consider grossly excessive oil consumption as "normal." This is clearly a design flaw based on the rate of occurrence, but to get Volvo to admit that in any official capacity would mean they might be required to recall and fix ALL defective units still on the road, not just the ones that people come in complaining about.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
there's no way a motor can go that far and not use oil, so that is crap.... but to imply that these particular volvos are " normal" is almost as bad.
What i don't understand is how do these motors continue to run , using this much oil and not; foul plugs, smoke, ruin converters, set off the check engine light. Also , couldn't volvo, or for that matter, me.. pre emptively pull the pistons, de carbon the ring grooves and install new rings before cylinder damage is done. And wouldn't volvo save themselves thousands of dollars and customer battles by just saying bring the car in ?.....
Some engines exhibit the problem, many do not. Only Volvo knows what the percentage is, but I'm guessing it is only a fraction of the total.

I assume we are talking about the excessive oil consumption that happens when a piston ring sticks in its groove. That is a design failure, it is not a "durability failure", where the rings wear out or the bore wears excessively. Not all of the poorly-designed rings will stick. Only some, and it happens relatively early in the engine's life. It's easily diagnosable and expensive to repair. This is why they adopted a "fix as fail" policy instead of a blanket recall.

PS When they do this work, I don't think they merely clean the grooves and put the old rings back in. In fact, I THINK they install rings of a new design that are less prone to sticking. Otherwise, you would expect the problem to just come back. Also, Volvo changed SOMETHING in the design that resolved the issue, so I would imagine that the engines that get repaired in warranty receive the updated parts. Just guessing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
753 Posts
No, I got nothing from my crappy dealer or VCNA. I paid for a used block, 5 grand. I didn't get on their case about early enough, but even then, my dealer is terrible. Pretty much done with Volvo at this point, but still got the car.
Sorry to hear, I hope things rebound and you can get a good number of trouble free years down the road. I'm coming off a rebuilt head and the thing is humming along again. I haven't heard too many cases of the entire block having to be changed so I'm guessing yours had damage to the cylinder bore. My pistons collided with my valves but were spared major damage. All because of a belt skip due to a tensioner.

What I learned is never buy another car with a timing belt.

Take care, good luck.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Some engines exhibit the problem, many do not. Only Volvo knows what the percentage is, but I'm guessing it is only a fraction of the total.

I assume we are talking about the excessive oil consumption that happens when a piston ring sticks in its groove. That is a design failure, it is not a "durability failure", where the rings wear out or the bore wears excessively. Not all of the poorly-designed rings will stick. Only some, and it happens relatively early in the engine's life. It's easily diagnosable and expensive to repair. This is why they adopted a "fix as fail" policy instead of a blanket recall.

PS When they do this work, I don't think they merely clean the grooves and put the old rings back in. In fact, I THINK they install rings of a new design that are less prone to sticking. Otherwise, you would expect the problem to just come back. Also, Volvo changed SOMETHING in the design that resolved the issue, so I would imagine that the engines that get repaired in warranty receive the updated parts. Just guessing. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I spent about as long as i could stand trying to explain that to this guy but to no avail.

Sad part is he runs his mouth like the ****waffle he more than likely is. I get on here an try to offer help if it is an area that i am familiar with and when i am not, i like to use my eyes and ears to learn something new. Not always the case though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear, I hope things rebound and you can get a good number of trouble free years down the road. I'm coming off a rebuilt head and the thing is humming along again. I haven't heard too many cases of the entire block having to be changed so I'm guessing yours had damage to the cylinder bore. My pistons collided with my valves but were spared major damage. All because of a belt skip due to a tensioner.

What I learned is never buy another car with a timing belt.

Take care, good luck.
Haven't been on here in awhile, sorry. Yes, new block, well, new to the car, it was a used block from a wreck, 17K on the block dealer told me.

I hear the initial versions of these T5 engines had issues, either the rings or otherwise, or lack of maintenance (don't buy the 10K mile oil change interval!), so the later 2013s may have a different design for the PCV or the rings, never really figured out everything Volvo may have changed. Definitely ring design changed. And of course, better watch that PCV system, that needs maintained.

I change my oil every 5K now, if not sooner, and I do it myself, my dealers in my area suck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts