SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 XC 60 R-design D5
I have an electronic dipstick AND one of the short stubby dipsticks. I do my own oil changes and I'm pretty sure I always put in 5.4litres total. With this amount the electronic dipstick reads full bars up to the MAX. I don't think I've ever checked the small dipstick at this point so don't know what level should be on that!
Anyway, 10,000kms since last oil change and I checked the electronic dip stick and it said oil level was halfway between Min and Max. Guess I could have left it, but thought may as well top it up, thinking it would only take a couple hundred millilitres to top it up. Anyway I added about 250mls, nothing changed on electronic dipstick....I waited....started car, stopped waited etc, no change.....added some more....then 500ml, then perhaps another 500ml.... no change to the bars on the electronic dipstick. And this was over a couple of days and with driving and stopping and waiting etc before checking. I actually lost count as to how much I added, but let's assume somewhere between 1.2litres and 2 litres. I then thought I should check the normal stubby dipstick, oil on this was down on the bottom third of the stick BUT there is no indication on the stick what is low or high or normal....the stick has a few marks I think there is a round some/ball shape near the base and one near the top and in the middle there appears to be a horizontal line. At this point I put in some more oil and brought it up to the line with perhaps another 300mls.....waited and checked and the electronic dipstick had moved up one bar.....I added some more, oil level now on the top ball/some mark and the electronic dipstick is where I want it, on the MAX. All good.....BUT, a day later I checked the electronic dipstick again and it was now one bar ABOVE Max and OIL SERVICE is written below (or above?) it (note: I'm not due for a service and this service warning is not coming up as a warning while driving and is only visible when checking the electronic dipstick!!). I will now start draining some oil in the next couple of days and or do a full oil change just to be confident of oil volume! What I am hoping you guys will be able answer is:
(1) With the bars on the electronic dipstick, how many millilitres need to be added to advance ONE bar??
(2)On the small stubby dipstick, what are the marks indicating, if anything OR when "full" immediately after an oil change, engine starter and stopped and waited, what mark will oil be up to??
Has anyone ever had similar experiences?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Below are few photos showing the marks on dipstick and my now guesses as to how the marks relate to the electronic dipstick. (Though I think the line is the MAX mark and the top dome is nothing. I can say the volume between the top dome and the line is 1.5litres, and I assume the same between the bottom one and middle. Also shows what my Speedo showed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just an update. I emptied out approximately 1.5litres!!! I went down to just below the line on the mini dipstick. Went for a drive and waited and then checked. My electronic oil level indicator now shows full bars to MAX.
Lessons I think I've learnt (and from some reading online!).
The electronic dipstick takes some time to register movement. I've seen it mentioned that car needs to drive for 30 KMs and to wait 5 mins. Obviously the 5 mins is wise, as for 30 KMs....I drove about 5kms and this seemed to be enough. In any case, for a reliable reading, advice is do some driving and wait a while after stopping. I also read somewhere in the manual or elsewhere to only add oil if drops to a couple of bars above MIN and even then ONLY ever add 500mls (wish I had read that before adding oil lol, as in my case I simply should not have added any in hindsight!!)
The fill/full line on the mini dipstick is the actual line in the middle.
My estimate of oil volume between bars is 250mls per bar.
Oil volume between bottom mark on mini dipstick and the Full line in the middle is about 1.5litres.
Hope this info helps someone!

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Gauge
Car Vehicle Automotive design Gauge Motor vehicle

1 - 3 of 3 Posts